Destin Dive Report - 30 Jul 05 - Reef Clean-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
Date: 30 Jul 05
Wx: Overcast, winds E 10 - 15 kts, 74 F
Seas: Not too bad in the Bay, but 2 ft and more in the Gulf
Temp: Mid 80s on the surface and mid 70s F on the bottom

Prologue: I replaced the engine water pump on 28 Jul and tested it on 29 Jul. I got a little nervous when the engine started overheating, but after letting it cool and starting it again (twice), there was finally enough water flowing to get a normal temperature. My 26 Jul 05 dive report said that replacing the fuel/water separator resolved a rough running engine problem. Apparently it did not. I had to empty the fuel/water separator twice before the first dive. We now believe that we got some bad gas.

ECRA Reef Clean-up Dives. Buddies were Candy and Ed.

Dive One: Reefex Tank. Vis was less than 10 ft. We retrieved anchor rope, fishing line, and lead. I took a speargun just because I know that if I didn’t, I would see a 30 lb grouper.

Dive Two: Another Reefex Tank. Before Hurricane Dennis, we saw a broken mast with sail attached near this tank. It may still be there, but the vis was so bad we couldn’t find it. We retrieved more anchor rope, fishing line, and lead.

Dive Three: Barrel Barge. Vis was a little better (15 ft). More lead and fishing line. There seems to be a Jewfish on every barge within 6 miles of the pass.

Epilogue: The crappy weather finally closed in on us after the third dive. Actually, my Radar showed that we were surrounded by very heavy rain, but we were able to make it to the Destin Bridge without running into a real squall. We pulled into the beach on the west side of the bridge (where the Reef Clean-up Party was to be held) and retrieved what was left of Candy’s tent canopy. God bless my son, Stone, for setting everything up in the morning, then trying to save the tent when the storms blew through.

From the bridge to the marina, I could only make about 6 kts due to the fouled carburetor problem (although the engine did run smoothly twice which let me get up to normal speed for about 10 minutes). I guess I’ll be working on the fuel system this week.

When did your son get there - we were in the water until about 7:45 or so for the first dive, took a short break, and got back in for the second dive which lasted about 50 minutes. Was the tent a white canopy? We never saw an ECRA banner so we went to lunch and watched the storm go by from the beach by the old pier at Crystal Beach. We didn't get the message that the party had been canceled so we stopped by the bridge at 6 PM and then off to eat dinner before going home to hear what we had found out first hand. I think some Scubaholics were looking for the tent in the morning too. Have you gotten a report from them?

I think my son set up the tent around 0900. Yes, it was a white canopy set up fairly far from the parking lot. He was in cell phone contact with us as the storms moved through later in the morning and early afternoon. I really felt sorry for him, but I have to chuckle at visualizing him trying to hold on to that canopy in a 30 kt wind :D . I am going to have to do some welding to salvage the metal frame.

Candy contacted one of the Scubaholics who had everyone's phone number, so he volunteered to pass on the cancelation info to his group. One of the lessons learned is to provide a central phone number so that last minute changes can be communicated. We're very sorry that we didn't get the word out to everyone.

As soon as another venue can be arranged we'll continue the festivites.

How much trash did the Scubaholics get off the East jetty? We probably could have gotten more if high tide had been later in the day. We pushed the current swing pretty close to get 2 dives in.

SeaYoda:
How much trash did the Scubaholics get off the East jetty? We probably could have gotten more if high tide had been later in the day. We pushed the current swing pretty close to get 2 dives in.

At the risk of stealing some Scubaholic thunder; here is a quote from a Scubaholic member:

"What an awesome time we had on the jetty. We gathered lots of trash from in and out of the water. For those of you who missed out, you really did miss a great time. Vis was absolutely horrible... I think it was only about 50' and the current was very giving to us."

Although the Emerald Coast Reef Association (ECRA) sponsored the reef clean-up event, the local dive clubs (Scubaholics, Eglin AFB, and Hurlburt AFB) were instrumental in providing the excellent participation that made the "clean-up" a success. ScubaBoard provided at least 3 participants as well.

On another note; I am looking forward to the "reef cleaners" getting a chance to receive "door prizes" and participate in the "silent auction" for the incredible prizes that will be awarded for their efforts.

Many Thanks!

Just in case we missed someone who participated in the ECRA reef clean-up but did not give us an email address, here is the plan for the rescheduled party and silent auction.

--------------------

Hi Everyone,

To those of you who participated in the Emerald Coast Reef Association’s Reef Clean-Up last Saturday, I would like to thank you for your hard work! If for some reason you weren’t able to clean last week but would still like to be part of the Clean-up, you can clean on Saturday the 6th and still be included.

We had to postpone the party & auction due to severe weather. My son had gone early in the day on Saturday to set up a tent to save us a place on the beach. Unfortunately, a bad storm passed over after he set up the tent and destroyed the tent. It must have been a strong wind because that tent has been through storms before.

We have decided to change the location of the party to Florida Park in Valparaiso. It has pavilions with electricity, bathrooms, a boat launch and 2 docks. We’ll meet there at 6pm and have our cook-out, door prizes and silent auction. If you participated in the clean-up last week but will be unable to attend the party and would still like to bid on the auction items, please contact me no later than Friday Morning @ candy@valp.net or 729-7619. (Directions Below)

If you saved your trash, please bring it with you to the party. If not, we understand. We will be taking a photo of the participants to send to the Daily News and the Destin Log.

I would appreciate it, if everyone who plans to attend the party, would please respond by Friday morning with:

1. Your names
2. How many people will be in your party
3. Emergency contact phone # & E-mail (so I can reach you if we have a repeat of last week’s weather)

If the weather is bad and you want to be sure the party is still on before setting out for the park, please call me on my cell @ 582-1359.

We look forward to seeing you all on Saturday night.

Again, Thank you for your time and help in keeping our reef’s clean!

Candy
www.magnificentrelief.com
www.ECRAi.org

Directions to Florida Park
(There are 2 Bayshore Drives in Valparaiso. You need to be on the west side (Eglin) of the Bayou)

From Niceville take John Sims Parkway towards Eglin. You will go over the Toms Bayou Bridge and take your first left on Bayshore Drive. Follow Bayshore to Florida Park.

From Eglin AFB, take John Sims Parkway towards Niceville and just before you cross the Toms Bayou Bridge, turn right on Bayshore Drive. Follow Bayshore to Florida Park.

From Fort Walton Beach, go past the Airport on HWY 85 then turn right on HWY 190 to Valparaiso. HWY 190 will dead-end on John Sims Parkway. Turn right on John Sims. You will go over the Toms Bayou Bridge and take your first left on Bayshore Drive. Follow Bayshore to Florida Park.

From Crestview, take HWY 85 to John Sims Pkwy and turn Right towards Eglin. You will go over the Toms Bayou Bridge and take your first left on Bayshore Drive. Follow Bayshore to Florida Park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom