Destination suggestions for a birthday trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If April/May/June are your dates and you have direct flights to Manila, I would definitely be all over that. @outofofficebrb could let you know about the liveaboard options to Tubbataha and whether or not the level of diving there is suitable for your spouse. Puerto Galera or Dumaguete would be nice land based options.

Great minds think alike! Yes, I agree with Puerto Galera being a great land based option. Don't miss a visit to Verde Island - it is amazing. Here's a sampler from Verde Island.

They come back between dives and it feels like a liveaboard. The food is really good. She can do as many (up to 5) per day or she can do 1. The dives are only about 5-10 mintues away by boat except Verde Island which is about 20 minutes by speedboat.

Verde.JPG

I sort of wish we had spent some time on Palawan Island after our Tubbataha LOB. Not really noted for diving, but it looks like a beautiful island to relax and sightsee a bit, with some over water bungalow style resorts. (If she’s into spas, treatments are generally cheap in Philippines or Indo.)

While I prefer some other resorts, the Atlantis resorts in the Philippines are nice, and exceptional at making travel logistics easy - which is a good thing there. (I hated the location of Atlantis Puerto Galera and would never stay at Sabang Beach again, plus I didn’t find the resort that comfortable. Atlantis Dumaguette is likewise nice, but I preferred Pura Vida.)

I sort of wish we had spent some time on Palawan Island after our Tubbataha LOB. Not really noted for diving, but it looks like a beautiful island to relax and sightsee a bit, with some over water bungalow style resorts. (If she’s into spas, treatments are generally cheap in Philippines or Indo.)

While I prefer some other resorts, the Atlantis resorts in the Philippines are nice, and exceptional at making travel logistics easy - which is a good thing there. (I hated the location of Atlantis Puerto Galera and would never stay at Sabang Beach again, plus I didn’t find the resort that comfortable. Atlantis Dumaguette is likewise nice, but I preferred Pura Vida.)

Agree that Palawan would be a great, easy transition after a Tubbataha liveaboard. :) It's easy to fly to as you can connect from Manila to Puerto Princesa as an option.

I can't speak to Atlantis Puerto Galera because I didn't end up booking there as they were much more expensive for what we viewed as "same same" (over 50% premium) but @Trailboss123 and I both really loved El Galleon/Asia Divers. The bonus was they are the only ones in the bay with a pier/dock. Additionally, we had no interest in heading out to Seedy Sabang. The nice thing about this was that it was really insulated from it all and if you didn't leave the resort, you wouldn't have known about the town. :) Rooms were very comfy, food was excellent, concierge dive op was top notch, and the guides and staff were really great. One could get really spoiled diving with this op and wanting the same wherever you go! :)

I can't speak to Atlantis Puerto Galera because I didn't end up booking there as they were much more expensive for what we viewed as "same same" (over 50% premium)
Yeah, it seems like Atlantis markets and caters heavily to the N American market, and charges the rates that market is used to. And they get it. Their level of service does make them a good “intro to Philippines.” But while they offer a good product, you lose out on the Philippines being cheap (where you can stay nice places and eat great food for much less.)

Yeah, it seems like Atlantis markets and caters heavily to the N American market, and charges the rates that market is used to. And they get it. Their level of service does make them a good “intro to Philippines.” But while they offer a good product, you lose out on the Philippines being cheap (where you can stay nice places and eat great food for much less.)

I think that is a really great assessment and very well described. People who go there often rave about it. There's nothing wrong with spending a premium, but as you mentioned, one of the nice things about the Philippines is how affordable and economical the all-in costs are (food, lodging, transportation). I prefer to save that money for places where you really don't have other cheaper options that are appropriately priced as such because of low supply or lack of other options (e.g., Galapagos!) or towards a different trip altogether, an extension of that trip somewhere else, or even a return trip to the Philippines!

I felt the same way about the Atlantis Azores liveaboard that goes out to Tubbataha. I have heard amazing things from folks who have been on it, but when I was booking a liveaboard to Tubbataha, it was difficult to justify when there were some other really great boats that also go out there that offer the same level of creature comforts and do the same itinerary, for less. It is a very personal decision for everyone, which I respect.

Yeah, we did the Azores. It's fine, and comes with the same Atlantis service that makes getting around so much easier. (We practically had our own concierge that smoothed our path in Manila, then reappeared in Puerto Princesa to do the same. Same upon departure. It didn't suck. They jumped through hoops to help passengers staying before at Atlantis PG avoid bad weather and make the boat. But the boat is pretty much like your typical nice Aggressor.

If I was looking at something distant with easyish travel (one hop from Brisbane), I would look at the Solomon's on the Bilikiki. Not really lux. It's an older boat, but well cared for. Once you set sail you'll not see another boat unless you count the local's dugouts. The dives around Marovo are absolutely stunning. Deep cuts into the island with overhanging jungle that give similar lighting effects to the Yucatan cenotes that open out to breathtaking coral gardens. If you like coral these dives are a kaleidoscope of types and colors of coral. Huge fields of unblemished coral. Hard to find these days. See them while you can, might be a birthday to remember. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

www.bilikiki.com

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. The wife really likes the idea of Komodo for a number of reasons, including that she has a friend who lives in Bali whom she'd like to see. This particular trip's timing seems to work better there than some of the other places as well. I'll investigate that in more detail first.

The Maldives must be perfect for this purpose, better than Komodo. Komodo is TOUGH. The currents are very, very intimidating. Took me up until this point (100 dives) to feel like I can maybe tackle Komodo soon. The Maldives, on the other hand, is always warm and calm. You can get as luxurious as you want.

The Maldives must be perfect for this purpose, better than Komodo. Komodo is TOUGH. The currents are very, very intimidating. Took me up until this point (100 dives) to feel like I can maybe tackle Komodo soon. The Maldives, on the other hand, is always warm and calm. You can get as luxurious as you want.

I had wondered if I should ask about the Maldives, but I've read that reef condition there is more stressed than in some other places. Am I correct about that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom