Destruction of natural reefs and your aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atlantis Reef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Friends,

This is a short note to see if this is a good topic.

I grow Live Rock through Aquaculture. I did this after creating the Atlantis Reef Project off of Key Biscayne Florida a couple of years ago.

We need aquarium owners in the US to understand that while they love the aquariums, natural reefs are getting torn apart in Fiji and other areas.

Please support the ban on importation and support of US aquaculture efforts. If you need great Florida Keys live rock from legal aquaculture sites, send me a note. I will make a special deal for US diver tank owners.

This will do more for protecting our reefs than any other artifical reef project for the sake of creating enviornment. Artificial reefs are great for diving and creating habitat but they do not supply rock for out aquariums. Only aquaculture can do that. Thanks for the ear. Gary liverockusa.com

This is the Ban that he is talking about....
URGENT: Proposed Bill HR669

This is of EXTREME importance to the pet industry that this proposed bill does NOT pass. I did not see a post about this here, and I know that right away this bill was thought to be only a threat to the reptile industry, but as the details have come out this is not the case. HR669 proposes a BAN on ALL non-native US wildlife, this INCLUDES fish. This means it would be ILLEGAL to own, reproduce, or travel across state lines with non-native wildlife including fish. We need to act now!!

Here are some links from PIJAC about the bill and what we can do to stop it in its tracks.

Here is the full text of the proposed bill:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h669ih.txt.pdf

Information on how you can help:
http://www.pijac.org/files/public/US_HR_669.pdf
http://www.pijac.org/files/public/669_Short_W_Comm.pdf

Contact your representatives, this can be easily completed through this website:
NO HR 669

I just thought that I should make this known to this online community.

I have owned a saltwater aquarium since I can remember. I do support aquaculture but I don't think they should ban it altogether. If they did then some of those places that rely on the rich people in the U.S. to buy a $100 fish might not be able to feed their families. I agree it should be limited but not restricted altogether. The government has too much control on us already. Also many species that we have in our tanks have never been successfully bred in captivity so we would all eventually end up having the exact same fish species in our aquariums.

I DO NOT SUPPORT THE BAN!! BUT I DO SUPPORT AQUACULTURE AND THINK YOU HAVE SOME SUPERB LIVE ROCK!!

Thanks for the note. Did you see the rock at Home ? My support for the ban was limited to reefs. There will be lots of fish but limited reefs. I support the use of any aquaculture reef product. I would think that the steelhead is the reason for the government action.

Back
Top Bottom