Detecting bubbles after dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, you as a doctor (someday), will be all about your ability to observe without bias. I spent years managing and mostly just working in a technical (electronics, machining, glassblowing) medical research support team.

Yes, it is possible for one to both manage and be part of a team. You just need a good team or you are pooched. You know when you have a good team when everyone shares emerging ideas and there are no 'glory hounds' or 'us-vs-thems' to poison the mix. Just get rid of those or suffer endlessly. Everybody equally shares success.

Observing:
I learned from a neuroscientist (that I was helping) that listening to a complex signal is often extremely informative. Any cardiologist would most likely agree with that. I could see the single neuron trace on an oscilloscope or a spectrum analyzer but when turned into an audio signal tremendous nuances were easily apparent. Each tool has a use, all of them together in real-time are powerful.

Throw your programmer a bone: TableCurve2D and 3D. https://systattasoftware.com/products/tablecurve-3d/ They are stupidly easy to use. Just fill out the X vs Y, or X vs Y,Z table and hit 'Simple Equations'. It will turn your observations into a function or a surface. So much easier to program a function than construct a look-up table. Ron Brown wrote those programs long ago, since lost touch with him...
Very interesting! Yes, I had a chance to read about psychological bias, in the science world I think the confirmation bias is the most "common". This would be more like an informal side project more like a curiosity about my own body and limitations of diving profiles.
I really like the scientific method, and I intend to join a research team someday. I know that this would NOT be considered rigorous science :)
As for the listening to signals, that is my exact point!! A cardiologist needs years of practice to really understand WHAT he is hearing in the heart, for instance there are heart sounds more muffled than a hummingbird wing sound( ~49dB)( broadly advertised by Littmann Stethoscopes:wink:).
Thanks for the programing advice!
Best Regards!

... So much easier to program a function than construct a look-up table...

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Do not underestimate the power of a lookup table.

Ah, true. But if you run your look-up table through TableCurve, you may gain much insight as to what function your data is following. AND you never have to interpolate!

For example, I ran the US Navy NDL tables through TableCurve2D just to find the simplest approximation possible. How about 222222/(depth in ft squared)? Try it, it is a remarkably accurate approximation at depth.

So, according to the USN tables, on gassing goes as a scaling constant divided by depth squared. Interesting...

Thanks for all the help!
I guess I'll try to find a 5MHz device or just buy a imaging device( not in the near future though$$$$):)
The devices you said(Techno Scientific DBM9008 and DBM9610 ) are kind of expensive right?
Which diving medicine book do you recommend most? I'm a fast learner and I would like a good reading about it
Best Regards!

Yes, they're unfortunately a bit pricey.

For diving medicine, Bennett and Elliott's Physiology and Medicine of Diving, and Diving and Subaquatic Medicine by Edmonds, Bennett, Lippmann and @Dr Simon Mitchell are both excellent. You might also consider membership in the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) and/or the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society (SPUMS). Both offer journals that cover diving and hyperbaric medicine. Have you considered a fellowship in undersea and hyperbaric medicine when you finish residency?

Best regards,
DDM

So, according to the USN tables, on gassing goes as a scaling constant divided by depth squared. Interesting...

Veering further off-topic, my understanding is this is exactly what Herr Dr Buhlmann did to arrive at his "M value = 2 * T ^ -1/3" for any inert gas and half-time T. Leaving everyone to wonder how valid that is outside of the range in which he had the actual empirical data.

my understanding is this is exactly what Herr Dr Buhlmann did to arrive at his "M value = 2 * T ^ -1/3" for any inert gas and half-time T.
I did not know that, thank you.

It is always dangerous to extrapolate on either end of the fitted data range. This is extremely true with higher order fits, expect them to blow up or be undefined ever so slightly past the fitted range.

@A_Buhlmann, please excuse this side-track but you may find it worthwhile to remember.

I did not know that, thank you.

Strictly speaking this is "hearsay", as a legal term: I can't read Tauchmedizin so I'm only repeating what I saw in Powell and other sources. :D

Strictly speaking, this is ScubaBoard. :)
Gerard-Butler-This-Is-Sparta.jpg

Yes, they're unfortunately a bit pricey.

For diving medicine, Bennett and Elliott's Physiology and Medicine of Diving, and Diving and Subaquatic Medicine by Edmonds, Bennett, Lippmann and @Dr Simon Mitchell are both excellent. You might also consider membership in the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) and/or the South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society (SPUMS). Both offer journals that cover diving and hyperbaric medicine. Have you considered a fellowship in undersea and hyperbaric medicine when you finish residency?

Best regards,
DDM
I have the "Diving and Subaquatic Medicine", I have my eyes on Bennet and Elliott's Physiology and Medicine!
I will check the membership plus the journals. As for a fellowship I don't know yet... I'm just a med student yet:)
Hyperbaric medicine and anesthesiology are areas of interest to me( so as Traumatology, Cardiology...:wink:).
Thanks again for all the help!
Best Regards!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom