Detuning a regulator for octoups duty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought a nice Atomic Z1 to team up with my Z2 as a safe second. Straight off it free flows on a boat entry with the adjuster all the way in. Not a big deal, but a little annoying.
Can/should I detune this reg to not be so jumpy? Should I adjust the poppet spring pressure, or the orifice position in slightly or maybe a little of both? As it stands it is a nice, easy breather. The Atomic has an automatic venturi that is not user adjustable.
Thanks.

Under normal conditions it is air tight. On entry impact it will lock into full flow until I block the mouthpiece. But I can give it a rebuild.

I use two ST1 second stages and I never have a problem with free flowing back up when knob turned in all the way (back up is not detuned at all and is adjusted the same as the primary). You need a tech. to check the Z1 second stage.

I have subsequently found in Atomic documentation that the Z1 should be set up to break at 1.1"-1.4" H2O while the SS1 is speced at 1.2"-1.8". Setting the Z1 at 1.8" with the adjuster out should work for me.

What is it currently set at (adjuster all the way out, and all the way in)?

My B2 tends to free flow on impact after a giant stride, unless I have it dialed all the way in. Since you've got it already dialed back, I would definitely detune it a bit more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom