Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bookmon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just completed trip to Devil's Den. Diving a cenote was fun. Knowing how old it is was cool. Many crevices to explore. A few fish, a turtle and lots of heavy textured large rocks. Dove with a shorty 3mil and was rather chilled in the 72* water. (I tend to not be cold.) Be sure to take a light. It's dark to pitch black down there.
Lots of steps. Make sure to have friends who can help get gear down if you're mobility challenged. No place to sit once you're down in den to gear up. The platform is in waist deep water.
Good RV campground with heated pool and bathhouse. Register early for holiday weekends to get a camp site with full hookups. We did not have sewer on our site.
Glad we went. But, for this old man, might not dive again. Was a major physical challenge to get into and out of the water. The scuba part was easy.

My wife and I went in 2018. Was a neat experience, great for pictures, but one of those places I don't really need to go back.

We got in 2 45 min dives. I was chilled on both, she was fine. But after 1.5 hrs total I think I've seen what I need to there. Might take the kids one day...

Curious as to how high the water level was? When we went they said because of the rain it was up about 20'

The dive shop folks did not mention anything about water level so I'm guessing normal. We went down to one of the gated sections. About 40'. Laughed at how it was fenced off but, a determined cave diver could take off their tank and slip through.

I've gone to DD a few times over the last couple of years. Each time water level was higher than normal. First time was back in August 2015. This was with the old platform and stairs. Original platform was entirely underwater. IIRC, an extension was added about 4' up from the original platform. This was also underwater.

I also went in November 2018 and June 2019. The new steps are much better than the older ones. Again, the water level was over the platform. I've seen photos that indicate that this is not always the case.

I can usually dive with a thin 2mm wetsuit down to around mid 60s and be fairly comfortable. On the first day (actually at Blue Grotto), I was cold. Normally when I dive in cooler water, I'm spearfishing, so working a bit harder. On these dives, I was mostly watching my kids get certified, so much less activity. I had to slip on a rash guard with neoprene around torso under the wetsuit to help keep me a bit warmer.

Thank you for input on Blue Grotto. Did not make there this trip. But, next time.
Question: Is Blue Grotto like Devil's Den? Or better?

Thank you for input on Blue Grotto. Did not make there this trip. But, next time.
Question: Is Blue Grotto like Devil's Den? Or better?
Blue Grotto is different. It's more open air, so in the sunshine, unlike Devil's Den. It is also deeper at parts. Max depth is around 100'. It's also more prone to silting than DD, so it's advised to get there early especially if on the weekend.

I found DD more interesting, but BG was more open. Getting in and out of BG was definitely easier as there is a large dock at water level that you can use to gear up, rather than having to descend the steps in full gear.

Here is a profile map of Blue Grotto. Couldn't find one for Devil's Den.
http://floridacaves.com/bgrottomap.JPG

In that area you also have Ginnie Springs with the Ballroom, and Paradise Springs. Both are less open and more of a cavern.

It’s a tourist dive site. Those of us that live in Cave Country, avoid DD and BG like the plague. Again tourist sites all carved up with graffiti. Many better sites for open water divers within an hour drive from Williston.

Many better sites for open water divers within an hour drive from Williston.

Better for non-cavern\cave divers? I was there last November and really enjoyed Blue Grotto, Devil's Den, and Paradise Springs. Didn't make it to Ginnie Springs -- maybe next time.

What else would you recommend for someone who doesn't have a cave or cavern certification?

Please educate us. Is there a map of sites? Or, you just need to be local to know?
I knew of a few in the Panhandle but, they've closed gates to divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom