Devils Hole Dive Team member dead - Death Valley, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
"Jaskulski was a respected leader in the diving community. The Divers Alert Network named him diver of the year in 2004. The National Association of Cave Diving gave him the Wakulla Award in 2000."

Park diver dies after swim test incident
DEATH VALLEY, CA – A long-term Death Valley National Park volunteer passed away on Saturday following complications while participating in a routine swim test to maintain his National Park Service dive certification.

Thomas Jaskulski, 72, had been a key member of the Devils Hole Dive Team since 1992. As part of the Dive Team, Jaskulski scuba dived in Devils Hole to conduct scientific monitoring of the critically endangered Devils Hole pupfish.

The incident occurred in a swimming pool at the Palm Desert Aquatic Center in Palm Desert, California around 10 a.m. on Sunday, March 18.

Jaskulski and one other volunteer diver were participating in routine testing to maintain their National Park Service (NPS) dive certification. The test included swimming 2,700 feet in less than 18 minutes while wearing a snorkel, mask, and fins. The Death Valley National Park dive officer and two volunteers monitored the swimmers from the pool deck.

Jaskulski had nearly completed the swim test when the NPS dive officer proctoring the test noticed he started having trouble swimming.

The NPS employee and volunteers pulled Jaskulski from the pool. After not being able to find a pulse, they began CPR. Lifeguards soon applied an AED.

He regained a pulse while in the ambulance, but stayed in critical condition in Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, California. He passed away about a week later on Saturday, March 24.

Investigations are being conducted by a NPS serious accident investigation team and by the Riverside County Sheriff’s Office.

Jaskulski is survived by his wife, daughter, and grandson. He will be greatly missed by employees and volunteers at Death Valley National Park and by a strong network of friends.

A resident of La Quinta, California, Jaskulski was a respected leader in the diving community. The Divers Alert Network named him diver of the year in 2004. The National Association of Cave Diving gave him the Wakulla Award in 2000.

Very sad news !

Tom was a very dear friend for 25 perhaps 30 years.
He would often visit at my home and we would discuss diving -- he was obsessed with diving Devils hole.

Devils hole is a small opening in the vastness of the desert which opens up into a large underground cavern which contains the rare California Pup fish. (@drbill note)

The snorkel swim is a normal swim test designed and developed by the late Jim Stewart the CDO of Scrips IO for use in most California and hopefully all scientific diving programs. It has little or no application to devils hole diving other that to determine abilities and conditioning. Tom was always in great condition - but his cardio system was not.

He was a dear long term friend -- I will miss him

Condolences to his wife and family

Sam Miller, III

Hmmm. I'll have to try it. 55 years old, swim 2000yds 2-3 times per week for one year, run 5K couple times per week, and I JUST cracked 1000yds in 20min swimming freestyle in a 25yrd pool. Fins or not, with the added dead space of a snorkel seems a pretty aggressive fitness standard.

Sorry about his passing. I swim frequently with a snorkel, mask, and fins. About a mile (72 laps). But I do not push it. You definitely get less oxygen supply with the snorkel as opposed to just swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom