DGX 600 0r 800?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a matter of nomenclature, I wouldn't call either a primary light, which is generally reserved for a longer duration light in cave diving, for example.

I have several of the DGX600s and love them. I use them for backups in wrecks or as my everyday light on open water dives to peek under coral ledges and such.

I don't like the form factor of the 800 - too long. The 600 with a good 3400 mah 18650 will easily outlast a single tank dive. If you're night diving, I'd have a back up anyway.

So, personally, I like the 600s. For a longer run time, closer-to-primary light, if you need that, look at the new Dive Rite CX1.

FYI, this may have changed since I bought mine, but they used to supply their lights with 2600 mah 18650s. Quality was fine, but good Panasonic 3400 mah cells are significantly better.

At one point I did some comparative run tests and, IIRC, on the good cells, it was over an hour before I got any real dropoff, and the light was plenty good for another 45 minutes after that.

FYI, this may have changed since I bought mine, but they used to supply their lights with 2600 mah 18650s. Quality was fine, but good Panasonic 3400 mah cells are significantly better.

At one point I did some comparative run tests and, IIRC, on the good cells, it was over an hour before I got any real dropoff, and the light was plenty good for another 45 minutes after that.
mine came with a 3000mah battery, so they must have newer batteries. I got some 3400mah Panasonic to use though.

I would get the 600 over the 800 because I don’t like lights as long as the 800.

I have 2 of the 600s. But, I like my Xtar D26 lights better and they aren’t that much more expensive. I especially prefer lights with adjustable brightness over the DGX 600.

I am with @stuartv I love my Xtar D26 lights. Perfect rec dive primary and excellent tec dive backup.

I have both. (3)600's and an 800 The 800 is slightly brighter but loses a bit of run time. The 600's are great. For some strange reason, the batteries are lasting longer the older they get. We used to get about 50 minutes of burn out of them. Our last night dives was almost 90 minutes and my 800 almost made it the entire dive. The wife's 600 made the entire dive and then some back in the room. I set it in the sink to run it down before recharging....and fell asleep.

Great lights, the 800 is a battery length longer. If it's going to be in your hand the entire dive, I like the 800. Just to clip off with a bolt snap for temporary use, I'd go 600. The only thing I've done to ours is rinse them in the sink after salt water dives and wipe a little silicone grease on the prints maybe once a year. The chargers are cheap but they work fine. Really can't complain. Variable brightness would be nice...a switch instead of screw the cap to turn on, but the more complicated, the more things to break. I'll stick with bulletproof over options for dive gear any day.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

I use my 800 for every dive except cave. I'm very happy with mine.

If it's going to be in your hand the entire dive, I like the 800. Just to clip off with a bolt snap for temporary use, I'd go 600.

The Oxycheq Raider light sock works awesome for mounting a DGX 600 on the back of your hand.

Cave Adventurers - Light Parts and Accessories - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

There are two sizes. I can't remember which is which, but the bigger size is just right for the DGX 600 (and also works for an Xtar D26). I think the smaller size would be too small to fit even a DGX 600 into.

Back
Top Bottom