DGX 600 0r 800?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So there are two DGX 600 now. The classic twist and a new button one.

The button one has HIGH LOW OFF cycle. It also has a strobe function by holding the button down. The button is recessed so if you tuck it under a bungee or tire strip it wont turn on.

I love them. I got one, loved it and bought a second for me and a third as birthday present for a friend. Mine came with 3000 mah batteries but I use 3400.

The DGX 600 Push definitely sounds better (to me) than the Twist.

But, my Xtar D26 is just as bright (or maybe a little brighter), only a little bit longer and a little more bulky, and it takes 1 x 26650 battery. My 26650 batteries are 5300 mAh (actual tested value). So, they give a much longer burn time (on High, of course).

The D26 does have an exposed push button, but it has a quarter-turn-to-lock arrangement, so I don't have to worry about it turning on by accident. A recessed tail button would be nicer, but the way it is really does work just fine.

That said, Dive Gear Express Customer Service simply cannot be beaten! So, you really cannot go wrong with one of their lights.

I find the 800 significantly brighter than the 600... almost too bright for a night dive. Both give enough power for a one hour dive. The 800 is longer, but is not unwieldy. If I were to choose one it would be the 600 because it is still very bright and more compact. Both have the same illumination profile: narrow bright center with significant spillover on the edge. I like mine for simplicity of design and trouble free operation.

I personally find all those lights too bright for night dives in the tropics. The giant beams scare the crap out everything and you see unnatural fish behavior trying to hide and avoid you that can often leave the fish unprotected and blinded for the rest of the night.

The "high" setting is for spotting under ledges during the day or emergencies.

The "low" is for actual night diving. Even better, get a flood light and use that on low at night.

Yes. I like my 1000 lumen video light for night dives. 100 degree beam and 1000 lumens is not very bright when it's that spread out.

I have a DGX 800 and when it is on, it is fantastic. However, it cuts out. It did this the first time I used it, but then not on several other dives, then once again, and no more diving. Now I use it light a regular flashlight and when it works, again fantastic. I can cut out after one or two seconds on, or after 20-30 seconds. It may come back on, or may not.

Any ideas on how to fix? I believe the batteries are fine and no obvious corrosion anywhere.

I personally find all those lights too bright for night dives in the tropics. The giant beams scare the crap out everything and you see unnatural fish behavior trying to hide and avoid you that can often leave the fish unprotected and blinded for the rest of the night.

The "high" setting is for spotting under ledges during the day or emergencies.

The "low" is for actual night diving. Even better, get a flood light and use that on low at night.

I recently bought the DGX 600 with the flood light. I wanted to use it along with my Gopro on night dives. I have only used it once but think it is a winner. It takes some getting used to the shadows it creates. As far as using it with my Gopro, I had it set to wide angle and it still looked like I was using a flashlight when I looked at my video. Next time I will try a narrow field of view to see if it helps. Mine shipped with a 3000 mah battery as well.

Not looking for the brightest light, let the other guy attract the most worms.

My first DGX 600 was a push button, just on and off, and it stopped turning on completely on the first dive, a night dive. It would only flash on, then shut off right away. DGX replaced it quickly and I asked for a twist type as a replacement. No issues, just worry that one day, I might twist it the wrong way.

Back
Top Bottom