DGX 8700 Canister Light System by Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bhtmec2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
DGX 8700 Canister Light System by Dive Rite

Well I have been looking for another canister light for some shorter technical dives that is smaller but has some good specs ref LUX and staying power.

Well Dive Gear Express married with Dive Rite to produce the DGX 8700.
It is rated at 14,000 LUX. They state that it drops to 6,000 after 3 hours. I figured that would be great at the price point. I was trying to not break the bank on this one.

Well it showed up and was 11,000 LUX out of the box. Not bad from the company. I charged it up and took it out for a night dive and after two dives it was still very bright. I was impressed with his little can.

Then I recharged it and put it in a drum full of water and did a burn test. Started out at 14,890 LUX on my meter. I waited 3 hrs and it was at 7,000. I went to bed and after 8 hrs it was still on. I forgot to measure the lux but it was stronger than my DRIS 1,000 light. Turned it off and dried it out and recharged again. Dived it last night and it rocked compared to my other dive buddies.

I am impressed and happy I bought it from DGE. They always carry quality gear.
i dove it today looking for bugs and it really reached out and ilimuniated them for the hunt. The small profile and easy attachment to my BP/W is great and I hardly noticed it on my waist band.

I was happy out of the box it is performing better than their charts. I would highly recommend this light.

Enjoy......

Now back to your regularly scheduled dive show.

Last edited:
Great review but I think your measurements are off a bit. That light is rated in LUX not Lumens.

I am not sure what the conversion of LUX to lumens is but if you are getting a 14,000 lumen light for $500 there is nothing else on the market to even compete with that. The highest can light lumen I have seen in the http://www.dive-xtras.com/pages/products/xraymk1.asp and it is only 2500 lumens and cost $2000.

You are right I should have typed LUX. I will have to fix that.
Still a great little light for the price.
Thanks.

Well I looked up the conversion and to convert you have to have e power for LUX, distance To tgt surface and view angle.

For 14,000 LUX at 5 meters with a 10 deg beam you get 8,368.3 Lumen. (this is what the formula gave me)

It is all subjective as a manufacturer can manipulate the numbers by determine the distance to the object to ramp up and down the Lumens. I have know idea at what distance they use if any for a dive light standard to determine the intensity.

It would be nice to know if there are any standard set values for dive light testing out there. More knowledge is always better.

Disclamer: I am not an engineer so you smarter people out there please no dog piles please:wink:

For 14,000 LUX at 5 meters with a 10 deg beam you get 8,368.3 Lumen. (this is what the formula gave me)

Lux (lx) is determined by :
One lux is equal to one lumen per square metre: 1 lx = 1 lm/m2 = 1 cd·sr·m–2.

..... so you have measured multiple points in range 1 square meter and calculated mean value of them (as that measure should be done )

........or you yust have measure center of hot spot :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom