DGX design change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lets hope the new dgx wings bladder doesnt look like this:

Size of aircell in wing?

Who wants to be the guinea pig and buy one to take pics :)

I am a bit put off by DGX's response in that thread. It is silly to claim they use the same bladder for different size wings when they only sell one size wing. It would seem prudent to size the bladder properly as Tobin alluded to in his post.

I am a bit put off by DGX's response in that thread. It is silly to claim they use the same bladder for different size wings when they only sell one size wing. It would seem prudent to size the bladder properly as Tobin alluded to in his post.

It was thought that the DGX wing was the same wing as the Dive Rite Travel EXP. Maybe it was simply the case the Dive Rite used that same bladder for their Travel and some bigger wing. DGX was stuck using the same bladder, even though they didn't need it for any larger size shell.

That and the lack of roll control stabilizers were both sources of criticism of their wing. Maybe that's why they changed to the new wing they have now.

It was thought that the DGX wing was the same wing as the Dive Rite Travel EXP. Maybe it was simply the case the Dive Rite used that same bladder for their Travel and some bigger wing. DGX was stuck using the same bladder, even though they didn't need it for any larger size shell.

That and the lack of roll control stabilizers were both sources of criticism of their wing. Maybe that's why they changed to the new wing they have now.

You could be right, that is the same wing and they needed to use the Dive Right bladder. But they were selling it as their own product and they only sold one size wing. The roll control could have fixed by using a soft STA.

I never understood why Dive Right would let them to sell a copy of their own wing.

I like the design of the new wing better except for the elbow dump and I would prefer a thicker bladder.

I never understood why Dive Right would let them to sell a copy of their own wing.

Maybe they're friends somehow. I don't know. Maybe there is some kind of licensing/royalty arrangement/commission. But, I think I read somewhere that Dive Gear Express used to be "Dive Rite Express", so I have a suspicion there is some kind of relationship there.

Or, maybe DGX simply went to the same factory that makes the DR wings and asked to purchase the same thing with a different label on it. And maybe DR could not do anything to prevent the factory they buy from from selling to DGX also. I doubt there is any kind of patent or other protectable intellectual property to prevent someone else selling the same thing.

I'm sure somebody knows. But it ain't me. :)

You are correct, Dive Gear Express used to be Dive Rite Express. This was in the early to mid-2000s,IIRC.

If Dive Right paid for the patterns and dies then Dive Rite should own them and regulate their use. I think anyone can copy the wing, but they would need to pay for their own patterns and dies. Of course the logo is trademarked.

The roll control could have fixed by using a soft STA.

What is interesting is the notion that an STA is needed at all when diving a BP/W with single tanks when the wing and plate have slots for cam straps. There was a time when plates and wings did not have slots cut in them and it was necessary to use an STA to attach cam straps and a singular tank but with the advent of the slots and the use of 2 cam straps there is not really need for an STA outside of adding weight. Lamar, the owner of Dive Rite, claims in a lecture he ge that is available on youtube, that he created the first STA for his wife so she could div e with single tank....he explained that he took a backplate and cut it down to just the center "v" section and flipped it over to bolt on to provide a means to use cam straps, not to hold the tank. The STA is only necessary, when using a BP and wing without slots, if one is only using a single cam strap. With 2 cam straps properly tightened there is relatively no need for an STA or "stabilizers" in a wing except as a marketing choice because other companies are selling theirs with it and the consumer tends to believe that there is a reason for this feature and perceive great value in it and will shy away from a company's product that does not have it.

I have 4 divers in my household, 3 of which use BP/W setups, 1 is a HOG and 2 are Dive Rite Voyager...wre all use 2 cam straps....neither of us using the Voyager wings have had issue .with tanks rolling or moving out of position. I have an STA sitting in the garage because it unexpectedly came with a purchase I made of some used gear...but it has never been mounted to any of our plates as it is just not necessary to use it.

YMMV
-Z

If Dive Right paid for the patterns and dies then Dive Rite should own them and regulate their use.

Sure. But, that seems like a very big if, to me.

Sure. But, that seems like a very big if, to me.

I am wondering if there was a very close knin business relationship between Dive Rite and DGX in the past and if there was a decision to separate the 2 businesses....it would not be unreasonable to offer a limited products under a "house brand" that are similar/identical to the major brand name....from a marketing standpoint it is quite common for 2 brands that seem to compete with each other to be owned by the same parent/umbrella company. Perhaps the DGX wing design change is representative of the possibility that the two companies have increased the divide between them....or perhaps it is a way for Dive Rite to do market research and a design change to their single tank wings (travel and voyager) is on the horizon.

-Z

Here is the DGX story cut and pasted from their facebook page:

"Our Story
Dive Gear Express·Tuesday, January 9, 2018
Early in the new millennium a south Florida local dive shop located in a retail strip mall on Dixie Highway, built a website that featured Dive Rite brand products exclusively. The website accepted it's first online order (with free shipping) on the morning of March 1st, 2003, released on the same day, and delivered the next day. Through it's ethical online sales practices with customer service that focused on the consumer, ultimately the business became one of Dive Rite's largest dealers.

Over time, the original website began expanding and selling other products not available from Dive Rite such as tanks, and eventually other competing brands. In 2009, the website changed it's name to DiveGearExpress.com in order to reflect the changes in product selection. In the fall of 2010, the business moved to it's current location in Powerline Business Park and officially became Dive Gear Express LLC.

Today, the company maintains a tight focus on the needs of the experienced sport and technical scuba diver. Dive Gear Express has ten full-time team members in a 6,900 ft2 facility and is a locally-owned small business with a global customer base. Yet, who we are as an internet retailer is still strongly influenced by the unique nature of our local Southeast Florida dive shop. Learn more about our story by visiting https://www.divegearexpress.com/library/company/no-********"

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom