DGX is awesome, and QR tank strap PIF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
UPDATE: These straps have a taker. But, you should still read on to hear (again) how awesome Dive Gear Express is. :D

Dive Gear Express is just amazingly awesome.

PIF stands for Pay It Forward.

I had regular cam band tank straps on my back plate/wing BCD. The straps always seems like a PITA to slide up and down a wet steel tank, when changing tanks. So I decided I wanted to change them out from some kind of Quick Release tank straps that would save me from having to slide them up and down the tank and fiddle with the length adjustment every time.

I ordered a set of Highlands QR tank straps from Dive Gear Express.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/highland-tank-straps-quick-release-w-cam-buckle-pair

I received them, mounted them up, and went diving. I had done 7 dives with them when I got an email from DGX soliciting me to write a review on the straps. The product description that is there now has been updated based on some of my feedback, so understand that when I bought them it did not say what it says now.

I submitted a product review that gave the straps 3 stars. My review said that they are good quality, but they didn't really give me what I was hoping for. I was still futzing with them to get them on and off because when they were clamped around a tank and I went to take them off, they didn't get loose enough to unhook the buckle without also loosening the strap itself a bit.

To my great surprise, later that day, I got an email from DGX saying that they had read my review and had noticed that I had not requested a return and a refund and would I like to do that? I was floored. I already used these straps for 7 dives. I had no thought of returning them, even though I was not actually 100% happy with them.

I think maybe I was putting them on tighter than necessary. Plus, I think the hook part of the buckle is a fair bit deeper than it needs to be. So I was thinking I might grind off a bit of the hook on each strap and, eventually, work things out to where I could put them on and off without adjusting the strap length each time.

But, the CS rep at DGX was serious about making me happy and giving me a refund. SO serious that he offered, unsolicited, to go ahead and give me a refund and he told me I could still just keep the straps! Unbelievably awesome!

At that point, I accepted his offer and then immediately ordered another, different, set of QR straps from them (and about $200 worth of other stuff). I received the DGX brand of QR tanks straps yesterday and swapped things out. I will try them out this weekend, but they are called "ScubaPro-style" QR straps and they look like they will work like I want.

So, anyway, on to the PIF part. I have no use for these Highland QR straps. I have my original cam band straps that I can use, if I ever need to. I would like to Pay It Forward on the generosity of both DGX and also the numerous people here on ScubaBoard who have really helped me - or even just tried to help me, but failed to penetrate my thick skull - by giving these almost-new Highland QR tank straps away. Free to good home. Shipping can't be more than $5 or so, so I will even pay that out of my pocket.

If you want them, please send me a PM with your shipping address. Since I'm paying the shipping, Continental U.S. addresses only, please. The first PM I receive with an address can have them. You might also post here that you did it, so others will know. This is not some scam to harvest a bunch of SB members' addresses. :)

I am leaving tomorrow after work to go diving off the Outer Banks this weekend, so I probably won't get the straps in the mail until Monday or Tuesday. Just FYI.

These straps seem pretty high quality. They just didn't do everything I wanted, straight out of the package. Hopefully, someone else will enjoy them and get good use out of them.

And.... one last shout-out to Dive Gear Express. Amazing customer service that made this PIF possible.

2015-08-05%2022.07.33.jpg

2015-08-05%2022.07.44.jpg

2015-08-05%2022.07.51.jpg

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 10:32 AM ----------

Annnd, these straps have a new home.

Thanks for reading.

Dive Gear Express is awesome. I feel like I just can't say that enough. But, I will shut up about it now. I'm not a shill. :)

Last edited:
As entertaining/informative as the bad customer service threads are, I do enjoy reading about the instances of good customer service. Glad to hear everything worked out and that you paid it forward!

they didn't get loose enough to unhook the buckle without also loosening the strap itself a bit.
I ended up with the same Highland QR cam bands from another shop and was disappointing for that exact reason. The straps themselves are great, except that I have to feed the strap through every time I want to attach or detach a tank. So much for "Quick Release"...

How did your new cam bands work out?

How did your new cam bands work out?

The DGX QR straps (aka ScubaPro style) are awesome. I've used them for, I don't know, 5 dives(?) now. I'd have to check my logs and some dates. But, I have used them and I really like them. It took me a little bit to get them adjusted to just the right length. Like any nylon webbing, they seem to shrink up a little when they dry. So, if they are adjusted to be "tight" when dry, they are a little too loose when wet. If they are "tight" when wet, then I can't hook them together and close the buckle when they are dry. I think I have found the Baby Bear spot now, though.... :wink:

My hubby has the same problem with his straps. His easy fix solution, when he loads the gear in the car he sprays them with a bit of water to moisten them a bit. By the time we are to the dive site they are fine.

The DGX QR straps (aka ScubaPro style) are awesome. I've used them for, I don't know, 5 dives(?) now. I'd have to check my logs and some dates. But, I have used them and I really like them. It took me a little bit to get them adjusted to just the right length. Like any nylon webbing, they seem to shrink up a little when they dry. So, if they are adjusted to be "tight" when dry, they are a little too loose when wet. If they are "tight" when wet, then I can't hook them together and close the buckle when they are dry. I think I have found the Baby Bear spot now, though.... :wink:

Scubapro tank straps, are indeed, excellent. I had a Glide Plus from 2002-6 and a Knighthawk ever since. I've never had a loose tank in 1015 dives. I switch out tanks more quickly and easily than most, particulary helpful in big seas. The only thing I just can't understand is why you would need 2 :D

Scubapro tank straps, are indeed, excellent. I had a Glide Plus from 2002-6 and a Knighthawk ever since. I've never had a loose tank in 1015 dives. I switch out tanks more quickly and easily than most, particulary helpful in big seas. The only thing I just can't understand is why you would need 2 :D

It's a BP/W thing. You wouldn't understand. :D

I soak new straps overnight in water before adjusting them for the first time. I also let them dry on the tank afterwards. It works well for me. You may want to try this the next time you you are setting up a new rig.

So I've been looking all over for these and hate to bring up an old thread but does anyone know dgx quit carrying these?

DGX did quit carrying them. The rumor is that they are looking for a new supplier for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom