DGX new doubles wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading the OP, I was going to say the EXACT same things as tbone.

The difference between a 55 and 60 # wing is indistinguishable in the water.

The DGX wing is shaped to put more lift down low. I've tried several wings like that (including Oxycheq Vertex Extreme 55, and Halcyon Explorer 55) and they make me too foot light/head heavy. It's especially problematic in a drysuit where I tend to be foot light anyway.

The Dive Rite Classic is 60# and very square-ish. It lets me achieve good trim with doubles, whether I'm diving in a wetsuit, with no other weight and a Kydex BP, wet and using my SS BP, or diving dry and using a V-weight.

My pure speculation is that there are a lot of doubles wings out there that are shaped like the DGX because they were designed for divers who use lead on a waist belt, rather than V-weights and weight harnesses. That's not me, and those are not my wings... LOL

One of my Intro to Tech students just bought a DSS Torus 49 and used it in the pool on Sunday. It looks very interesting. It LOOKS a lot bigger than my Dive Rite Classic. It seems to be shaped where it would actually put slightly more lift towards the head, instead of the butt. Unfortunately, it also has the obvious downsides: It has no zipper to access the bladder, for self-repairs, and the company is now out of business. So, if it were to get damaged, there is no practical way to get it fixed. But, if you could find one for a low enough price, it might be worth trying. The reality is that it probably won't ever get bladder or shell damage, so that aspect won't ever become a real-world problem.

Found a fab deal on the DR Classic wing from a friend.

Found a fab deal on the DR Classic wing from a friend.

It is the current (i.e. donut) version? Not an older "Classic" that is a horseshoe?

Current model. My current doubles wing is the old horseshoe Rec model. I definitely did NOT want another horseshoe.

New wing came today. Proof it’s current model.

DD2D1426-9456-4891-AD5D-0A5A4B845169.jpeg

New wing came today. Proof it’s current model.

Nice. Looks like the XT version, too. That's what I have. I think it is an awesome wing.

My tech instructor told me to take the bungee off, which I did and never put back (nor wanted to).

The only negative thing I can say about the DR wings (having 3 of them, myself) is that I have heard they are known for getting sticky power inflators. When I was told that, all I could think was "huh. How about that? I have replaced the power inflators on 2 of mine for sticking."

I keep a new spare inflator from DGX in my spares box, for just in case. At $17 or whatever they are, it's not even worth it to me to fool with one if it's sticking. One time of "sticky" and it goes in the trash.

I not only have spares from DGX, but I also have the new power inflator head (from earlier this year when I replaced the original ones) and new butt valve I’m going to strip off the old Rec wing to keep as spares.

Yes, it is the XT version. I’ll ask the local tech instructor I’m going with for AN/DP what he thinks of the bungee and go from there.

@Marie13
You are definitely becoming a Diver !
Never satisfied and always ":Need one more gadget "
(and I will have very thing I need !)

You are on your way to have more dive items than my dear wife Betty
and dive buddy for almost 50 years has shoes - or I have sun glasses

Keep up the good work

Always remember my squadrons motto- use it as your own

Cheers from a bright, sunny warm - with a slight ocean breeze- CenCal

Sam

Finally got the new wing wet today. Worked very well. Love love love having more lift at the surface. My chin barely cleared the surface with the 45lb wing. Damned glad to have a donut wing. Left the bungees on as I’d forget about them until we were just about in the water.

Back
Top Bottom