DGX now selling Lenhardt & Wagner compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on the prices and maintenance schedule posted at DGX, the cost of maintenance parts is $5k for 1000hours.
The majority of that cost is the filters which are listed as changing every 15hours at $55 a piece. Oil is relatively cheap and I would not consider the 12 month oil change (if not 250 hours) requirement a non-issue.

1000hours comes out to roughly 2600 AL80 tank fills.

So cost per fill per 1000hours is roughly $4/tank for the first 1000hours and $2/tank for all subsequent 1000hours.

Based on the prices and maintenance schedule posted at DGX, the cost of maintenance parts is $5k for 1000hours.
The majority of that cost is the filters which are listed as changing every 15hours at $55 a piece. Oil is relatively cheap and I would not consider the 12 month oil change (if not 250 hours) requirement a non-issue.

1000hours comes out to roughly 2600 AL80 tank fills.

So cost per fill per 1000hours is roughly $4/tank for the first 1000hours and $2/tank for all subsequent 1000hours.

Except you were lied to you.
The filter life alone for this compressors $55 cartridge is quoted at 16 hours in 20 C
Good luck with that temperature over in Miami.

Now on your yacht out of Miami running “white powder goods” from the islands you can half it.
Or maybe the correct term that buyers of this product will understand better is “cut it”
And even that is optimistic. Sadly buyers of the L&W model 100 at 35C ambient temperature the filter capacity is only 33M3 or 5 hours running time. Thats 11 cylinder fills from a $55 cartridge.

And we have only just started the sorry tale of this product. Only question is should I kill this thread now or would you like to continue and see just how far this sorry story goes.
Kids and this yacht toy is I guess a great potential for DGX $5000 market. Iain

Now on your yacht out of Miami running “white powder goods” from the islands you can half it.
Or maybe the correct term that buyers of this product will understand better is “cut it”
WHAT??

A comparison with different ambient temperatures is interesting. But are you suggesting the main use is drug dealers filling scuba tanks for mini subs? If so, it is still rather sensationally tangential to the units themselves.

Out of curiosity, how are parts for the L&W to come by in the USA? My Mako (Reavel blocks) are pricey but widely available.

Good point but they (the customer of this product ) have DGX as the go to service experts, except with one consideration. The shelf life of the replacement $55 filter cartridge is only 18 months from date of manufacture from Germany written on the packaging as a Month and Year.

Heck it's only 11 cylinder fills, your gonna need a big box of filters and keep Fed Ex in business on a weekly shipping contract.

Got to make your MAKO Compair parts a breeze by comparison LOL

WHAT??

A comparison with different ambient temperatures is interesting. But are you suggesting the main use is drug dealers filling scuba tanks for mini subs? If so, it is still rather sensationally tangential to the units themselves.

I guess you would like more time to consider a better use option? LOL
Take as long as you like.

Now before we get any more knee jerk reactions I better warn you all gently of worse to come.

First off you know how L&W stated that the $55 filter life is only 5 hours at 35C
This is where we need to warn DandyDon to cover his eyes
Well thats allowing for an air purity carry over of 500 ppm C02 and with 15ppm CO
Needless to say the 0.3mg/M3 of oil together with the 25mg/M3 of water vapour would be a welcome relief
to smoking crack cocaine. Just a thought

Now this is getting interesting, in many ways :)

Is there really much difference in temperature dependence of filters from different manufacturers. I sort of thought that the reduced capacity in hot temperatures is basic physics and chemistry that doesn't change much between manufacturers.
All compressors I use for filling myself are in dive clubs and use self packed filter cartridges. That is economical, but may not be feasible for commercial operation with liabilities?

Now this is getting interesting, in many ways :)

Is there really much difference in temperature dependence of filters from different manufacturers. I sort of thought that the reduced capacity in hot temperatures is basic physics and chemistry that doesn't change much between manufacturers.
All compressors I use for filling myself are in dive clubs and use self packed filter cartridges. That is economical, but may not be feasible for commercial operation with liabilities?

I don’t want to drift off topic here from the Lenhardt & Wagner L&W 100E1 model but yes a huge difference we could discuss on another post if you like. But on this specific Dive Gear Express advert again what is interesting is what you are not being told so much so that what you have is basically misleading at best and a lie at worst. In many respects it's an example of why you should never buy a compressor from a dive shop (sold for profit) or count what the forum fanboys tell you, but again maybe better on another topic.

So regarding your question on temperature and this Dive Gear Express temperature claim for the L&W model 100E1 they state that:

“The average temperature increases just 11°F from intake to outlet”

However what they don’t tell you is the critical piece of information in that this claim is based on a ambient air temperature of 68°F (20°C) But to make matters even worse not only does the DGX 15 hour claim for the $55 filter cartridge turn out to be only a 5 hour life in the 35C Miami sun but no one has yet told you that the expensive metal filter shell itself only lasts 1100 hours running up to 300 bar

Just so Dive Gear Express doesn’t have to include it in the 1000 hour spares kit I guess.

@iain/hsm is there a compressor setup you would recommend for $5k or less?

You think that they make this much profit??? I have the distributor prices and the profit margin is so small, it is hardly worth it for anybody who doesn't do large volume of compressor sales if they have to stock them.

Burhan

We have all but agreed what this model does and doesn't do and have deconstructed the weak sales hype from the real engineering performance claims and so far as no one has disputed the facts given so far. Further we have also discussed in detail some repair and maintenance aspects not normally discussed by either the dive shop (seller) of potential purchaser (diver) when considering a particular make or model compressor.

Again finer engineering points regarding life expectancy wear material and running costs I trust have illuminated to any potential buyer exactly what they are getting for this $5000 compressor.

But one remaining item remains outstanding in that and we need to agree my claim that the dive shop makes 30% selling this compressor to the public. And in particular reference to DGX Diver Gear Express (the dive shop seller) and L&W Americas The importer and trade distributor)

Now I don't dispute your opinion but we need to agree the position of this 30% mark up to the shop when selling to a diver otherwise readers will think I am guessing.

So all or nothing Here is my position:
L& W Americas set about to create what they call a qualified partner status with selected dive shops in the rich kids with toys areas from Miami to Hawaii and give each a boundary that can be effectively serviced by that retailer (in effect a closed shop) For an opening order of $50K partners are free to choose the models they think fit to sell to the hotels, dive resorts, rich kids and marinas they think fit. A combination of models and in addition to the $50K order the Partner is required to have in stock $5K worth of spare parts (filters I guess for the hot areas)
In addition these "dive shop retailers" must keep to a minimum annual order of $125K worth of compressors after discounts have been applied each year.

And here is where it gets interesting LW Americas must be copied on all quotes and complete sales of L&W compressors required for warranty and recall purposes (LOL)

Further any inquiries that come into LW Americas from a partner territory are handed over to the partner.
No Competition.

Now the discount the dive shop gets for this is not 0% nor is it 15% or even 20% of 25%

It is as I originally stated a 30% discount from the $5000 list price of the model
Now if any of my fellow divers wish to disagree feel free knock yourselves out.
But it is what it is 30% so either your wrong or if you are a reseller of these products your getting I think the American term is hosed. Your call. Iain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom