DHS Travel Advisory Manila (MNL) airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Our sense is this is not about anything especially new, but that they have given up on them fixing it and maybe want to apply pressure however. Even years ago we've had to go through an additional security checkpoint (after the regular one) before getting on a US bound flight. (I don't know if those were added by the airline or who, but especially nice when you were then trapped in a boarding area with no food or bathroom facilities.)

----------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

December 26, 2018

Department of Homeland Security Issues Travel Advisory to the Republic
of the Philippines

WASHINGTON–The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) today announced the
determination that aviation security at Ninoy Aquino International
Airport (MNL), which serves as a last-point-of-departure airport for
flights to the United States, does not maintain and carry out effective
security consistent with the security standards established by the
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). This determination
was based on assessments by a team of security experts from the
Transportation Security Administration (TSA).

In view of this finding and effective immediately, airlines issuing
tickets for travel between the United States and MNL are directed to
notify passengers in writing of this determination. The Secretary has
also directed this advisory be displayed prominently at all U.S.
airports that provide regularly scheduled service to MNL and that it be
published in the Federal Register, pursuant to sections 114 and 44907 of
Title 49 of the United States Code.

In coordination with the Department of State and the Department of
Transportation, TSA representatives have been working with the
Philippine government to assist airport and transportation authorities
in bringing MNL up to international security standards. TSA will
continue to work with the Philippines and assist its aviation
authorities with correcting the security deficiencies at the airport. In
addition, TSA will continue to assess security measures at the airport
and take appropriate actions as warranted.

Under section 44907 of Title 49 of the United States Code, DHS is
charged with the responsibility of assessing security at foreign
airports with direct service to the United States to ensure they meet
international standards as set by ICAO.

# # #

Ok. I know I can be dense about these things but what is the purpose of the public advisory? Seems it just serves to advise terrorist the best airports to use.

Well, the US DHS has maintained travel advisories for the Philippines for nearly a decade. Sure, there are areas down south (Mindinao and Sulu) and the most northwestern corner of Luzon, where foreigners should not visit due to extremist attacks and violence, but it's pretty isolated.

It's interesting that they're claiming the security departing MNL is not "consistent with...ICAO standards". Philippine Airlines (at least, maybe others) has had an additional security point at the gate (in addition to one getting inside the airport doors and one going to the gates concourse) where you cannot even bring a sealed bottle of water purchased at the deli within eyesight of the check point...... In the US, you can purchase as much as a 2 liter water and carry on with no questions asked. Hmmmm.....

But at any rate, I think the reality is that there's no real reason to be concerned. General advise to all travelers: As always, when traveling, do your due diligence, be aware of your surroundings and those around you, and keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.

I really hope it doesn't prevent anybody from coming out to explore the Philippines and some of the best diving in the world.

Cheers and Merry Christmas:xmassign:
:cheers:

Oh boy, TSA and their inconsistent security procedures exported abroad...

I flew into and out of the airport on Philippines Airlines, February 2019 on a dive trip to Cebu (Sun and Fun Dive and Travel trip report to follow; two thumbs up!). There were many layers of security scanning; all professionally done. Long check in line ups (often due to the traveller exceeded baggage limits. Rather than direct the traveller somewhere else to sort out the weight, travellers tied up checkin counters.)

I felt secure in the airport and do not want to get into the particulars for obvious reasons.

Regards,

GJS

p.s. very few food outlets were open beyond 9 pm. I arrived with fresh pineapple and had that for supper.

Back
Top Bottom