Diabetes and Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlscozz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, help me out with this one please. My son is 16 years old and has an open water certification. He is a Type 1 insulin dependant diabetic and has had diabetes for 11 years. Our instructor for AOW will not certify him for depth/time/vis concerns and I am fine with that. I would not want to put my son in danger or open liability to our instructor. I am just wondering what other diabetics have been through and certifications obtained to discuss with my son. Thanks, Scozz

Our instructor for AOW will not certify him for depth/time/vis concerns and I am fine with that.
is all I have to say. As long as his primary physician signs the form, the instructor should be in the clear.

Thanks for the link, Jimmy B. Note that the DAN study was TEN YEARS AGO, but certain dive operators still haven't gotten the word.

DAN had some information in their last Alert Diver magazene. I developed Type 2 diabetes and have been diving with no problems. My Dr. knows I dive. He also knows I am a pilot. The FAA allows a flight medical as long as the diabetes is under control. The same issues apply for diving as for flying. You really don't want to pass out while doing either one. The results are basically the same for either. The difference is that while flying, I can eat something to boost my blood sugar, can't do that at 60 fsw. You can however, eat before or between dives. I take a banana on the boat and I eat it in between dives. The DAN article from the Alert Diver was a bit unrealistic. It suggested testing your blood sugar just before the dive, in Florida, the temp will likely be higher than the 85 or 86 degrees max allowed for your tester and strips, so testing would in those temps would be inaccurate.

DThe difference is that while flying, I can eat something to boost my blood sugar, can't do that at 60 fsw.

Not true. You can take tubes of glucose and/or cake frosting and squirt them in your mouth when on a dive.

is all I have to say. As long as his primary physician signs the form, the instructor should be in the clear.

Not so. I had a student with diabetes come to me a couple years ago. Well controlled with a pump and never had an issue with sugar getting out of control, their doctor said they were a good candidate for scuba. I called and asked NAUI if I could train them. I was told "You have to make the decision BUT if ANYTHING EVER happens to the student underwater in the future we will pull your insurance and leave you liable for any claims made by the family." As much as I enjoyed the person's personality and would have enjoyed training them they weren't worth leaving myself exposed to a civil or wrongful death lawsuit where I could lose everything my husband and I own.

I know the YMCA had (has?) a nice program for diabetics that's basically a research program they sign up for. Diabetics get to dive AND provide information so we may better understand how the disease affects divers.
Ber :lilbunny:

I've attached a Summary Guideline from PADI. I haven't had a student come to me that is diabetic yet but my son is and dives. He was trained before I was an instructor. I waited until he was 16 y/o before his training.

He hasn't dove in quite a while. When he was diving we had a protocol that he followed. He'd been on the pump for 9 years at the time and had diabetes for 10 years. I'm a nurse and believe that we control our diseases and we shouldn't let them control us. I hope that I've passed that on to my son. Yes, he has to take extra precautions but he can do anything that he sets his mind to.

Attachments

• SummaryGuidelines.pdf
    89.9 KB · Views: 181
Not true. You can take tubes of glucose and/or cake frosting and squirt them in your mouth when on a dive.

You are so right. I had not thought of that. Thanks for the idea, I may put some in my kit and take it with me in my BC pocket just in case. You can tell when your blood sugar is getting low, so a shot of sugar is pretty good.

Pollock NW, Uguccioni DM, Dear GdeL, eds. Diabetes and recreational diving: guidelines for the future. Proceedings of the UHMS/DAN 2005 June 19 Workshop. Durham, NC: Divers Alert Network; 2005.

DAN gave us permission to add the Workshop Proceedings on last Friday. I have just finished adding them today due to the interest in this thread. It can be downloaded here: RRR ID: 5538

As for your son, I would review the guidelines from this workshop with him as a start. You might also want to review the presentation below by Dr. Pollock with him. For your physician, let them review the guidelines and make sure they know the can call DAN to speak to a physician with any specific questions they might have.

Table 1: Guidelines for Recreational Diving with Diabetes

Selection and Surveillance
• Age ≥18 years (≥16 years if in special training program)
• Delay diving after start/change in medication -3 months with oral hypoglycemic agents (OHA) -1 year after initiation of insulin therapy
• No episodes of hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia requiring intervention from a third party for at least one year
• No history of hypoglycemia unawareness
• HbA1c ≤9% no more than one month prior to initial assessment and at each annual review -values >9% indicate the need for further evaluation and possible modification of therapy
• No significant secondary complications from diabetes
• Physician/Diabetologist should carry out annual review and determine that diver has good understanding of disease and effect of exercise -in consultation with an expert in diving medicine, as required
• Evaluation for silent ischemia for candidates >40 years of age -after initial evaluation, periodic surveillance for silent ischemia can be in accordance with accepted local/national guidelines for the evaluation of diabetics
• Candidate documents intent to follow protocol for divers with diabetes and to cease diving and seek medical review for any adverse events during diving possibly related to diabetes

Scope of Diving
• Diving should be planned to avoid -depths >100 fsw (30 msw) -durations >60 minutes -compulsory decompression stops -overhead environments (e.g., cave, wreck penetration) -situations that may exacerbate hypoglycemia (e.g., prolonged cold and arduous dives)
• Dive buddy/leader informed of diver’s condition and steps to follow in case of problem
• Dive buddy should not have diabetes

Glucose Management on the Day of Diving
• General self-assessment of fitness to dive
• Blood glucose (BG) ≥150 mg·dL-1 (8.3 mmol·L-1), stable or rising, before entering the water -complete a minimum of three pre-dive BG tests to evaluate trends
• 60 minutes, 30 minutes and immediately prior to diving -alterations in dosage of OHA or insulin on evening prior or day of diving may help
• Delay dive if BG -<150 mg·dL-1 (8.3 mmol·L-1) ->300 mg·dL-1 (16.7 mmol·L-1)
• Rescue medications -carry readily accessible oral glucose during all dives -have parenteral glucagon available at the surface
• If hypoglycemia noticed underwater, the diver should surface (with buddy), establish positive buoyancy, ingest glucose and leave the water
• Check blood sugar frequently for 12-15 hours after diving
• Ensure adequate hydration on days of diving
• Log all dives (include BG test results and all information pertinent to diabetes management)

Diabetes & Recreational Diving: History and New Guidelines - Neal W. Pollock, Ph.D.
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/training/seminars/diabetes/index.asp

Another paper that might be of interest is here:

Scuba diving with diabetes mellitus--the UK experience 1991-2001.
Edge et. al. 2005
RRR ID: 4036, PMID: 15796312

More abstracts and papers can be found here.

Please PM me if you need any contact information for the people that have done this research, they are always willing to talk to divers (and their parents).

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom