diabetes and scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticat99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
has any one here been denied dives for type 2 (pills)diabetes if they have a doctors note saying that you are ok to dive?just curious

No.

The head of my Diabetes clinic is a diver and he had/has no problem giving me anything I need to get cleared to dive anywhere anytime.

No.

The head of my Diabetes clinic is a diver and he had/has no problem giving me anything I need to get cleared to dive anywhere anytime.
yes i have a note to be cleared and passed my open water last week actually .but im going on a cruse this January to three different dive spots and on the excursion page SAYS YOU HAVE TO FILL OUT A medical question-are

I've been living with type II Diabetes for 14 years and diving for the last 4 years. I've never had an issue with getting cleared for diving, since my condition is well controlled with diet and medication. I've also never had a problem with presenting the medical form for liveaboards or more advanced training.

As with any other physical activity, diving may affect the amount of medication needed. It's important to make sure that your blood sugar doesn't drop too low during a dive. I always make sure snacks are on hand when I'm doing a lot of diving, and also reduce my medication to compensate for increased physical activity.

If you take relatively recent documentation of being cleared to dive by your doctor you should have no problem.

If you are really worried about it, contact them the cruise line and express your concerns along with asking what kind of documentation you need to be able to dive when you indicate on the medical release form that you are diabetic.

I was just diagnosed with diabetes last spring when I had also been diagnosed with DCS. When I went to see my Dr., he admitted right off the bat that he knows nothing of diving medicine. As soon as I received my diagnosis, I started researching through DAN & other diving medicine, as to why diabetes is generally contraindication to diving. The biggest part is problems from uncontrolled diabetes & from the medications to treat diabetes. There is lots of physical damage from uncontrolled diabetes, that can increase some of the normal risks of diabetes, depending on what system(s) is/ are being compromised. The problem with diabetes medications whether insulin or medications to reduce blood glucose levels is the possibility of the blood glucose getting too low & causing a diver to become incapacitated underwater, during a dive. After talking to him, & discussing the risks, he has agreed to sign me off as fit to dive, with the conditions that I check my glucose levels before I dive & throughout the day. If my levels drop below 100, he wants me to snack on some carbo filled treat, then try to eat a more substantial meal as soon as possible. I also carry a glucose gel packet with me,... just in case. So far I have lost 20 lbs since my diagnosis in April (with about 20 more to go). My monthly morning glucose averages have been about in the low 100's (100- 110).

After talking to him, & discussing the risks, he has agreed to sign me off as fit to dive, with the conditions that I check my glucose levels before I dive & throughout the day. If my levels drop below 100, he wants me to snack on some carbo filled treat, then try to eat a more substantial meal as soon as possible. I also carry a glucose gel packet with me,... just in case. So far I have lost 20 lbs since my diagnosis in April (with about 20 more to go). My monthly morning glucose averages have been about in the low 100's (100- 110).

Interestng - I wish I'd seen this thread before I started another. I did a search, but this thread might have been too recent to come up in the search.

So how do you/your doctor reconcile the "below 100" with the DAN guidelines of "below 150"?

My BG never goes above 140 (perhaps a dozen times this past year) - because I intentionally keep it within normal ranges. I don't want to agree to elevate my blood glucose to a level that is unhealthy (and makes me less mentally alert). My typical MO is to also to disclose everything even remotely relevant, but this next set of dives will be with an insta-buddy and I don't want to freak out a new buddy (especially one who knows the guidelines & might refuse to buddy with me unless I carb up).

He has basically told me to drink some fruit juice, or eat a candy bar or such, if my glucose levels are less than 100, to boost it up, short term, hopefully to be worked off through the exercise of diving. After 1 or 2 dives, I will typically eat a meal to try to keep things level. Typically my post dive levels are in the 90- 100 range. My personal goal is to keep my levels as close to normal levels as possible, through medication & diet. I also disclose my condition to any potential buddies & if rejected,.. that's how it is,.. though has never happened.

thanks peep as for myself whenever i do a strenuous exercise diving ,swimming ect in do carb up a bit and check when im done and usually sit p[perfect as for eating that wont be a problem on a cruise ship lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom