Question Did Garuda have direct Bali-Sorong flights before Covid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a Raja Ampat trip in November/December. Either before or after the liveaboard there, I want to spend time in Bali.

I really only want to fly with Garuda, as I hear the other airlines are unreliable.

As of today, July 11, Garuda does not have direct flights from Bali (Denpasar) to Sorong. Were there direct flights on Garuda between these places before Covid? Since Indonesia only reopened in April, perhaps more domestic flights will be added later.

Air Asia flies from Jakarta to Sorong and you can pay for extra luggage allowance. I am flying with them to Sorong for my Raja Ampat diving. The flights from Bali were never direct they had a stop over at another locaton along the way.

I am going to Raja Ampat in February and have done a lot of research, there is no direct flight to or from Sorong to Denpasar, there is a layover in Makassar. You can still get to Bali but it requires that layover, just be aware that it is the rainy season in Bali in November and December, not sure how the diving is in Bali that time of year.

As of today, July 11, Garuda does not have direct flights from Bali (Denpasar) to Sorong. Were there direct flights on Garuda between these places before Covid? Since Indonesia only reopened in April, perhaps more domestic flights will be added later.
They did not have direct flight between DPS and SOQ pre covid but I have no idea if they have had flight much earlier.
You can try a round trip from Jakarta - Sorong - Denpasar(stop over in Makassar)- Jakarta by GA.
Every Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat for CGK-SOQ-DPS(no need to overnight in Makassar)
Daily DPS-CGK.

Good luck

Even if they had a direct flight it doesn’t mean they wouldn’t change it on you at the last minute. We were once excited to book a direct Ambon-Jakarta flight on Garuda, got changed to stop in Makassar anyway with little notice. Fortunately we were staying the night in Jakarta rather than having a tight connection. Pretty much everyone on our LOB on a variety of airlines and itineraries had similar shenanigans going on, just how it is there. So if you want to go to Bali just book what you can and leave time in your itinerary for stuff to happen.

Garuda has plenty of its own issues, and things are constantly changing, so other airlines such as Batik may be worth considering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom