Did I Do Right?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be worried if the flood might be preceding a more complete failure in/at the end of that HP hose.
That was my thinking as well, and why I felt it best to call the dive after the problem presented itself. Sadly, I did not have a spare, so it ended the diving day. Total bottom time, 20 mins; yay! Replaced it and had a successful dive today, no issues with the replacement or the hose.

If one looks at and understands the actual internals of a SPG one would understand that the flooding of the gauge will not have an immediate impact. In fact, many pressure gauges are filled with a liquid - typically oil which dampens the pointer movement. The difference between a diver's pressure gauge and a typical gauge is that it is sealed and thus can be submerged (SPG == Submersible Pressure Gauge).

In the OP's case the seal was compromised and water entered. The immediate affect - none. The long term affect is more than likely failure (freezing) of the gauge as components would be compromised via rusting as some of the components are made of steel.

Not knowing this information - better to be safe than sorry and fix the issue. Now the other important part is also knowing what would happen if the spg failed and started leaking. That is left as an exercise for the reader :). Though a search will reveal the answer.

First, I agree with the other responders, as the only appropriate response is that your actions put safety first, you took a cautious approach, and you are fine. That said, I am sure there are some folks out there who have dove for a time either without an SPG, or with a nonfunctional one. ( I am not confessing here, just reporting observations I have made.) I recall Mike Nelson doing this all the time, "timing" his dives based on depth and tank size, he always "estimated" his air time, albeit conservatively. I am not Mike nelson, and neither are you. And I don't have to dive with the antiquated gear he did. I want all equipment working properly. I always have a second set of regs and computer and spg along on a boat or at the shore dive site. No reason to accept even the slightest risk increase.
DivemasterDennis

A thumb is a thumb. It is always the right decision and it doesn't really matter why it happens.

Thumbing was a good call. Not an ah **** I'm going to die situation, but it's time to surface safely decision. A blown HP hose is not catastrophic, you had plenty of time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I think any time you have a failure of whose import you are unsure, ending the dive is a good idea. There is always another day to dive, if you survive today!

Scared Silly is right, though -- if you understand this failure, you know that the gauge will fail over time, but not during the dive in question. And if you have also been following your own typical gas consumption, you can watch the suspect gauge for a few minutes, confirm that it is tracking with what you expect it to show, and relax.

But any time you don't know or have doubts, it's better to be on the surface.

I've thumbed a dive for a lot less. If something doesn't feel right, get out.

Anyone can thumb a dive for any reason at any time.

My buddies accept this rule and I've never been asked why I thumbed a dive (even one that was only eight minutes long).

I've thumbed a dive for a lot less. If something doesn't feel right, get out.

Anyone can thumb a dive for any reason at any time.

My buddies accept this rule and I've never been asked why I thumbed a dive (even one that was only eight minutes long).

Seriously? If my buddy thumbed a dive after 8 minutes I wouldn't question his action or right to do so but curiosity alone would force me to ask him, "what's up?". Not being interested in why someone thumbed a dive early would seem kind of weird to me, tbh.

R..

As a couple of folks pointed out, having an SPG full of water, really is a non-issue. Presumably that means that the seal holding the lens in has failed, which really isn't a big deal, in the short term. If the gauge was leaking air, that's a different story...

But to answer your question, you absolutely did the right thing. Not because there was a risk to you, but because you didn't know if there was a risk or not. It's always better to sort stuff out up top, rather than down below, when you have the luxury of time and can ascend safely.

BTW, assuming that gauge isn't some ancient old thing, it's probably quite repairable, especially if you were in fresh water. It probably needs to be flushed, dried and resealed.

I use an SPG on one of my stages that I bought in 1974... Still works like a charm~ ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom