Did I get a skin bend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disal

Registered
Reaction score
I’m currently in Maui Hawaii. I went diving 3 tanks about 10 days ago. The first dive was air and 2 nitrox 32 after. On the first dive, I was filming a seal diving down to me so I did not realized I was ascending quickly. It was 94 ft depth but i was hanging around at 40ft for a while then that happened.

i felt fine after the first dive. On the third dive, I vomited a lot and got sea sick may be because the boat was shaking really bad. Another person on the boat also got sea sick. I still felt nauseous the next day then was fine. 3 days ago, my skin started to get itchy. I started to have raised red itchy bumps on my chest, sides stomach, back and behind the 2 ears. The 2 ears feel itchy and tingling. attached are the rash. I cant think of anything I ate or touched that could cause any allergy and I dont hace any skin allergy. Did I get skin bend and what should I do to check out? Should I go to emergency room tomorrow? I feel completely fine but the skin really scared me. Thanks

Attachments

• 66BE3BBB-9628-4E03-B87E-4614D80E2C3B.jpeg
    66BE3BBB-9628-4E03-B87E-4614D80E2C3B.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 826
  • 1DFC0ED8-738A-43F7-A6A8-30545A91E121.jpeg
    1DFC0ED8-738A-43F7-A6A8-30545A91E121.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 884
  • 1133375F-1494-454D-9855-D23D21F241E9.jpeg
    1133375F-1494-454D-9855-D23D21F241E9.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 369
So first of all, as with anything, you should call DAN (divers alert network) to get professional advice if you are seriously worried (you have no way to know if what I say is coming from a doctor or just some rando in the internet).

that being said, …this looks like heat rash to me. You’re still in hawaii right? And you haven’t dove in a week? The DCI doesn’t just show up a week later.

also, while in general you should avoid rapid ascents, the change in pressure from 94 feet to 40 feet is less than the change in pressure from 33 feet to the surface.

Skin bends usually results in a mottled appearance, like this.

Attachments

• 659E89A4-D129-4E05-A97C-6BC2E337550B.jpeg
    659E89A4-D129-4E05-A97C-6BC2E337550B.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 369
It's not skin bends.

Could be a virus or an allergic reaction.

I've had skin bends. Hurt like the dickens and looked like the photo provided by @drk5036.

And I've had a body covered in a rash, that was diagnosed as a virus. The dermatologist told me that the skin on my palms and the soles of my feet would eventually peel and not to be concerned about it. I couldn't believe that it was a virus because I felt fine in every other way and had not had any feelings of illness prior to the rash either. Very hard not to be concerned when one's whole body is covered in an itchy red rash. Yes, it did clear up and yes, then my palms and soles did peel.

In any event, you hadn't been diving in 7 days when you first felt the rash. IMNSHO, it's not related to diving.

Have you been laying in the sand? Hiking in tropical foliage?

You may still want to see a physician, if for no other reason than to get a topical cream to help with the itching.

In Hawaii, everything can be exposed. Sun rash can happen if someone from a more temperate climate goes on vacation to a hotter climate and exposes skin that is not typically exposed to sun normally. One common pattern for men is breakout on legs and trunk, with sparing of forearms because of more continuous exposure from short sleeve shirt wear. The rash can look like little bumps with some containing a small amount of clear fluid. And very itchy.

Another possible explanation could be an allergy to components of a certain sunscreen. Swimming unknowingly through nematocysts released by jellyfish can also cause something that looks like that. Maybe there is an allergy to a dye or other component to a long sleeved shirt.

Important: I am not a doctor, if you want to be on the safe side contact DAN.

My wife also has such small elevations from time to time, it is most likely a slight allergy to something.

DCS in the skin is typically very red/bluish, symptoms increase when the skin warms up and it is painful/itchy.

Also, I am not aware that the symptoms can still appear 10 days after the dive.... normally you should be completely desaturated after 2-3 days.

Regards from Switzerland

Back
Top Bottom