Did I get bent? Please help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ddk96

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got a slight dilemma. I went to the ER today because I suspect I have DCS.

On monday I went diving at 10am local time in Bali. It was my first dive in a while and I had trouble equalizing. At about 8-10m depth I accidentally surfaced because the jacket inflated. I went up pretty quickly. The dive instructor motioned me to come back down and we continued to dive at below 14m. The total dive time was 30m. I breathed a lot of oxygen during the dive and we did 3 stops on our ascent.

After the dive I felt a bit nauseous. On the boat ride home it was not helped by the waves. My dive instructor did not inform me that I should have been breathing O2 at the time, I know that now. I felt a bit better after we were on solid ground. We went back to the hotel(still without oxygen). After that me and my girlfriend slept for a few hours. I woke up dehydrated and not well rested. I made an effort to drink a lot and eat and after that we went to bed and I felt fine that day.

The next day I went to the local doctor for a exam and Maybe some O2. I felt a bit of tightness in my shoulders but no pain. I had started on the antibiotic levofloxacin the night before the dive and figured it could be both .
The doctor said I had maybe type 1 DCS and gave me and my gf oxygen for 2-3h.
We asked the doctor if we could fly that day(our home flight was scheduled for midnight that same night so 37h surface time between flight and dive).

I felt fine before, during and after flight.
We landed on Wednesday afternoon and it's now Saturday evening.
The last 2 days I have been feeling a tiny ache or tightness in both my upper arms and hands. I also feel very slight numbnes in both my hands.

Today I also started feeling a bit dizzy so I called an ambulance and went to the ER.
All my values were fine, they did not find any issues. The neurologist did a complete neurological exam and didn't find anything wrong. Still they gave me no o2.

I'm now at home and feel a bit worse.

Should I breath oxygen and then get to a reco chamber ASAP? I Really don't know what to do and nobody told me a definitive answer. I phoned multiple diving "doctors" and they all said with my depth etc I should be fine and the nitrogen has dissipated already.

What do you guys think ? Interestingly the antibiotic has the same side effects...muscle aches , numbness etc

Well only a doctor can tell you for sure but doesn't sound like you were deep enough or down long enough to get DCS to me. At 40 feet I don't always do my safety stop, especially if its the first dive and not a repetitive and have never had any issues.

You have to remember that in recreational diving the limits are set up to where a safety stop is not mandatory, meaning you are still within accepted limits if you didn't do a safety stop. The safety stop is really just practice, and for extra conservatism.

Last edited:
Call DAN (Divers Alert Network) 919-684-9111, if you suspect you may be bent. They will talk to you for free even if you are not a member or insured.
Hello, I should mention I'm in Austria, Europe. I called a German hotline and talked to a diving doctor. She said due to my depths and surface time pre flight I should not have DCS and it's probably down to the antibiotics which are known to be strong. She said going in the reco chamber is only for immediately after diving not 5 days later.

Anyway I just want to be on the safe side and I know for sure the next time I dive it will be with a more reputable diving school.

Guys how quickly is nitrogen breathed out at 1ATM? Was the time between dive and flight sufficient ? Could flying make type 1 DCS turn to Type 2 and cause permanent trouble

PADI says 18 hours

Call DAN (Divers Alert Network) 919-684-9111, if you suspect you may be bent. They will talk to you for free even if you are not a member or insured.

+1 to this. Whether you are suffering from any DCS or not, you will talk to a DAN doctor who is familiar with diving.

I'm really concerned about CNS effects. I have a bit of trouble urinating and my junk feels dead and lifeless.

What CNS effects are you worried about in particular? Typically CNS concerns related to diving are oxygen toxicity and that concern is not valid for several reasons:
A) its several days post-dive
B) you weren’t anywhere close to O2 limits for exposure concerns
C) your symptoms don’t match

I can’t imagine why you are concerned with CNS effects

I'm really concerned about CNS effects. I have a bit of trouble urinating and my junk feels dead and lifeless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sounds like you got the clap. 500mg amoxicillin BID for 10 days should fix that for you.

Back
Top Bottom