Did instructors teach inhaling from BC long time ago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
It might be a controversial or stupid question. An old instructor told me that once upon a time, they taught students to inhale from BC for the last few breath before (or during?) CESA when you are out of air. To do that, first you have to exhale to your inflator to push water back inside bcd (clear water), then you can inhale maybe few air from bcd.
I think it sounds impractical and I don't think it's useful. I'm also aware that this is not a standard procedure. So let's not discuss if you should do that or not. My question is that does anyone ever hear such method before? Was it taught in any course before?

In the days before direct feeds some jackets had a small 0.5Lt cylinder for emergency buoyancy, filled from the main cylinder before each dive. It was possible to breath off these, but not taught as part of formal training.

I would not encourage anyone to do it today as the risk of legionnaires is to great.

BC Breathing was taught in OW as another tool in the toolbox for emergency situations in my 1988 YMCA class. Fast forward to [edit]2013[edit], and it was part of my NAUI MSD.

Risks were explained......

Last edited:
BC Breathing was taught in OW as another tool in the toolbox for emergency situations in my 1988 YMCA class. Fast forward to 2103, and it was part of my NAUI MSD.

Risks were explained......
What's it like in 2103? Is Shearwater still the king?

HIGH risk though, at least one person is currently paralyzed from a lung infection from doing that, so if you are going to keep it in the back of your toolbox as a last ditch emergency, PLEASE disinfect your BCD on a regular basis

Not sure what was taught since my training pre-dates BCs but we (dive buddies) talked about actually rebreathing from an inflated Fenzy during a buoyant ascent similar to submarine escape lungs (the Momsen Lung had a small absorbent pack). CO2 wouldn't build up fast enough to be a problem. You would probably get bent but that sucks less than drowning or Embolism.

Note that the ad indicates it can be used for emergency gas.

full.jpg

Hi @Akimbo

What year was this? Pretty expensive at $125, wonder what that would be today?

I cannot specifically remember if breathing from our buoyancy jacket was taught in my 1970 LA County course, I think it was. We had a separate jacket (vest), not as nice as the Fenzy. We inflated it manually with the hose for buoyancy control. I never did activate the inflator cartridge :)

Hi @Akimbo

What year was this? Pretty expensive at $125, wonder what that would be today?
Looks like 1968 on the ad. A quick web search shows it is around $880.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom