Did instructors teach inhaling from BC long time ago?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Threaded cartridges were more expensive than the non threaded variety. I tested my fancy, redundant, two cartridge 32 gram cartridge system - just before I plugged it with 3/8" LP port plugs.

I then used the empty cartridges for years as first stage wrenches - since they had the same 3/8" thread.

The gem of information! Thank you. I'm off to find my horse collar and scavenge the cartridge... what a great solution for getting careful torque on a reg!

Ah I love this place.
Cameron

In my first PADI OW course in Fall 1984 in college, we were taught to to use the bc as an emergency backup. I had a Seaquest with a CO2 canister back in the day.

Interesting, the single cartridge on my vest was really cheap in the early 1960s, maybe 10-15 cents. It was threaded, Aluminum, and about 5/8" OD x 3". A lot of kids had them for CO2 powered BB guns. The inflated vest probably had 10-15 Lbs of buoyancy and was only intended to be used on the surface.

I finally stopped wearing that vest when the Aluminum mechanism that punched a hole in the cartridge froze up from corrosion... but never told my dad about it or that reserve valves were useless in kelp. Those two items seemed to comfort him and I wasn't about to burst his bubble.

Threaded cartridges were more expensive than the non threaded variety. I tested my fancy, redundant, two cartridge 32 gram cartridge system - just before I plugged it with 3/8" LP port plugs.

I then used the empty cartridges for years as first stage wrenches - since they had the same 3/8" thread.

Well... I had to report back. It's a perfect solution, and I had a stubborn reg from two days ago I wanted to peek inside but set aside for later wrestling.

If anyone asks, this is why we are prone hold on to outdated things, they may be useful later. Just like bag breathing.

...corrosion needs some attention but I got excited to put the tip to use.

Anyway, thanks.
Cameron

Attachments

• received_10214505003078793.jpeg
    received_10214505003078793.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 42
If you screw it into a 7/16" to 3/8" HP port adapter, it'll work on 7/16" HP ports as well.

Back in the 1960s when I started diving we didn't have BCs like today (although there were a few horse collars). Didn't use a BC until 1989 and was never taught this. Given the minimal care I give my BC, I'd have to be desperate.to consider this.

If you screw it into a 7/16" to 3/8" HP port adapter, it'll work on 7/16" HP ports as well.

A little off-topic but related: Hose connections on first stages are industry standard SAE J1926 O-ring sealed straight thread ports. The HP 7/16" port is designated -4 or 1/4" and the IP ports with 3/8"-UNF threads is -3 or 3/16". You can buy cutting tools for these ports from machine shop supply houses:

7/16-20" Port, 0.838" Spotface Diam, 1/4" 00274779 - MSC
upload_2017-10-22_9-33-58.png

You can buy tube fitting connectors that screw into them or use a Swagelok-style 1/4" compression fitting by removing the nut and ferrule and slipping on an O-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom