Did SE FL get a surge in divers due to pandemic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went last weekend in Pompano and the boat I was supposed to go out on in the morning didn't go due to a large group canceling last minute. I moved to the afternoon trip and it was very sparse only 11 people on a boat for 30. I am looking at going on Friday 1/22 and normally would have to already have a spot reserved by now but the way things have been I can wait til closer and watch the weather before booking it.

Hi. I wondered whether the pandemic-related restrictions and fears making travel to the Caribbean and beyond from the U.S. less practical might drive a surge in dive tourism to U.S. destinations, particularly the Florida Keys.

Earlier in the pandemic, FL got a reputation as a coronavirus hotbed so I thought people might fear to go.

Nowadays, seems like much of the U.S. is a coronavirus hotbed.

So, how's business at Key Largo, Jupiter, West Palm Beach, etc...?

I guess a small number of travelers may be coming to FL, but that may be offset by locals with financial hardships due to the pandemic (businesses closing, layoffs, etc)

Then, the boats have no choice but to raise the pricing, which is understandable, but it may have an effect on those that cannot afford to spend $ on a leisure activity.

Let's see what 2021 brings. I'm optimistic!

I went in early Dec 6th to the 12th. Conditions were great for a northerner. My wife is talking about going again soon.
From my standpoint it was great - boats, restaurants and bars were open and the shore diving was very good.
Stayed in LBTS - enjoyed it - interesting that I did not see the shenanigans that people have been telling stories about - no one wearing a mask. To me it felt good to get away and it seemed to me very safe.
I hope to be down again soon.

We made 2 trips down to Key Largo this year. We went for a week in August, flights where empty, hotel was half full, dive boats with Rainbow Reef seemed ok, some trips it was busy, others not so much, did 2 dives out of Key West and that boat only had 8 people on it. Went down again for a long weekend before Christmas, airplane had more people, hotel was empty, dive boats where not very busy. Both times we flew in and out of FLL and it was empty both times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom