Did SSI just get bought out by Mares?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope they don't start forcing their product on SSI shops that don't currently sell it and vice versa.

This is disturbing. Training agencies and gear manufactures have no business intermingling. Agencies teach diving, I think that we can all agree that there is more than one quality brand of gear. I dive mostly Oceanic for recreational diving. I dive mostly Scubapro and Dive Right for tech. Even I don't think that one brand is the best for everything.

Wow that hub reminds me of the car homer built on the Simpson's lol

Does it have a cup holder that can hold a 64 oz soda lol

As they upgrade their training materials, would it make sense to show other manufacturer's gear in videos and in photographs? Hard to believe that they would not naturally make the SSI shops "an offer they can't refuse" on gear.

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 10:39 PM ----------

That's cause they are all in a warehouse somewhere. But they can be dusted off and made required gear.
Mares HUB AVANTGARDE. Bcd-jackets Hub, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive#

mares hub avantgarde

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 06:04 PM ----------

I guess all of em ain't stored somewhere.

I like the latest review:

The HUB is undeniably the most presitigous gear a diver can don!! I have had it for a month now and logged over 35 dives with it in Thailand and the Red Sea. It is very relialable with top end components in every aspect. Plus, I automatically become the talk of the RIB when suite up! A truly liberating and flashy system that shows how serious and aware I am about my hobby. Thanks Scubastore for all your help, patience, excellent service and pricing...I couldn't have enjoyed the HUB without you!!!

Agencies teach diving...

Instructors teach diving. Agencies sell stuff. (Books, manuals, videos, c-cards, etc)

When I set my shop up in the U.K, because of other local dealers, Mares nor Scubapro would supply me. I then became an SSI school, Scubapro still would not supply me. I have my suppliers in place now so do not need Scubapro nor Mares.

p.s. When I set the shop up I offered 'cash with order' for all purchases, I still trade that way, I wasn't after credit at all.

I wonder what will happen to Robert Stoss, since he is a Scubapro manager.

My major concern is that with the acquisition, that the quality of the training program will deteriorate. Although, yes,... I understand that even SSI is in the business to make money, they have still held to reasonable standards & not watered things down to bare minimums. I, as an instructor appreciate that & appreciate that I can give 110% to my students, to teach them as I wish I had been taught. I absolutely love SSI's mandate of repetition. I have seen many of my students grow into very good, active & dedicated divers. My concern is that the parts of the quality that SSI pushes may be thrown under the bus,... all for the glory of unbridled profit..... Personally I am eying this acquisition with a cautious stance. Hopefully it will help SSI to succeed in the future, without compromising quality,.... but I have been around corporate America long enough to know that it usually is not the case.... We will see.

Back
Top Bottom