Did you shave your mustache to dive??

To have or not to have, the leaking determines the question!

• I have a mustache, leaks a little, I live with it!

Votes: 113 30.9%
  • I have a mustache, I use grease, no leaks that way!

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • I had a mustache, had to shave it off in order to get a good fit.

Votes: 57 15.6%
  • Never had a mustache, my mask never gets wet.

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • Whats a mustache?

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Have a mustache, found a mask that fits.

Votes: 46 12.6%
  • I trimmed the moustache just below the nose... mask works fine!

Votes: 84 23.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've joined the ranks of neo-Menonites: shaved the 'stash entirely but left the goatee. No leaks and now this 51 year old looks sort of new millenium hip.

the easiest thing I have learned to do is to exhale ever so slightly through my nose. What little water seeps in is gone.

I once shaved off my mustache, some 18 years ago, and when my new bride came how she just started laughing. Needless to say, its has not been off since. Come to think of it, I was wearing speedos so maybe THAT'S why she was laughing :bonk:

Otter

I used to have a full goatee. My mask leaked a bit and I couldn't stand it. Nothing seemed to work, and I was thinking about going with just half a goatee, so I shaved. No more worries :)

Full beard, goatee, moustache, I've never had a problem with leaking. I don't grease, I don't trim, I don't cut any hair, it just fits nice and dry. My OceanMaster purge works fine. Most leaks are from getting my hood under the mask skirt. Once that's fixed I'm dry.:)

I just trim it a little... still leaks a little, but thats good for keeping the mask clear.

Tried the grease and full shave... grease left my lip, well... greasy. Full shave helped a little. May be shaving it again soon... I have this weird bald spot on my goatee that I haven't noticed before... makes me feel self-conscience;-0

Nope but I do shave my feet. I hate it when your foot hair is all mated and hurts, so I threw nature and manliness out the door and went for the smooth approach.

I shaved it off for a girlfriend who didn't like it. The benefits? She and I stayed together 7 1/2 years and are still close friends. My mask didn't leak near as much. Without the mustache I look a lot younger... and at my age that's important!

The Geezer
Dr. Bill

What's a little water in the mask hurt. I'd rather clear, occasionally, than shave my moustache, and that trimming under the nose sounds scary, and a PITA.

Back
Top Bottom