Did you shave your mustache to dive??

To have or not to have, the leaking determines the question!

• I have a mustache, leaks a little, I live with it!

Votes: 113 30.9%
  • I have a mustache, I use grease, no leaks that way!

Votes: 13 3.6%
  • I had a mustache, had to shave it off in order to get a good fit.

Votes: 57 15.6%
  • Never had a mustache, my mask never gets wet.

Votes: 37 10.1%
  • Whats a mustache?

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Have a mustache, found a mask that fits.

Votes: 46 12.6%
  • I trimmed the moustache just below the nose... mask works fine!

Votes: 84 23.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kept the mustache and shaved the head. Much better streamlining and it doubles as a rescue mirror.

I normally trim a bit off the mustache just under the nose to give an area to seal the mask agains. Then I use sillicone grease too. Of course of often forget it as well.

If I don't trim my mustache, then the silicone grease usally makes a good seal.

pasley:
I normally trim a bit off the mustache just under the nose to give an area to seal the mask agains. Then I use sillicone grease too. Of course of often forget it as well.

If I don't trim my mustache, then the silicone grease usally makes a good seal.

Still at the "in pool" stage of my diving life, have a stache, and beard for that matter, (wife will absolutely NOT let me shave it off )so I tried the trim method. I get a really small amount of leakage, so just to elimante all possibilities, I'm going to try the silicone greese to see if I can eliminate the rest of the minor leakage.

One of the DM's that is helping my instructor has a stache, and told me that there are three options.

1) Trim it a bit
2) Use the greese
3) Suck it up
(He also said that one we get down below 25 feet it should no longer be an issue.)

On a side note, The day after my second dive lesson, one of the guys at the office noticed the trim job, and asked me why (he has a full cookie duster) I trimed mine the way I do. I told him it was becasue I wanted my mask to seal properly. HIs response was "You dive....cool". The rest of the conversation was about diving, and not my stache. Since then I wear my trim almost like a badge of honour. Kind of like a mark of the fraternity. :wink:

Anyway even if the minor leak never goes away, it's a small price to pay for the fun of diving.

Storm

Storm:
One of the DM's that is helping my instructor has a stache, and told me that there are three options.

1) Trim it a bit
2) Use the greese
3) Suck it up
(He also said that one we get down below 25 feet it should no longer be an issue.)
If you are equalizing properly, the depth shouldn't have any effect one way or the other. It doesn't with me.

I don't trim my moustache under the nose, but instead just thin it out a bit. So for me it's all 3 == trim + silicone grease + ignoring any leaks that sometimes do occur.

Chapstick also works well, perhaps even better than grease, since it helps to keep all the hairs aligned. Those times when my mask leaks much, it's usually because I caught some hairs when putting on the mask and curled them upwards. Removing the mask and doing some underwater grooming usually cures the problem.

Neat, another three year old thread still going strong.

That shaving stuff below the nose - you guys trying to look like Don Ameche or some Latin lounge lizard? Sounds too bizarre for me, although I did used to be a Hawaiian lounge lizard. Nothing like keeping ancient threads alive. Say, anyone ever see a scuba tank explode?

Not guilty :D

I guess the best way to keep these old thread from re-emmerging would be to not have newbies like me searching the board. :newbie:

On a more serious note I want to say thanks to all the community out there. My wife and I are just now taking our OW course, and having a source like this with it's wealth of information on so many different topics is great.

Cheers!

Storm

danceswithoctopus:
Leaks. So what? I have to clear all the time. So the water in my mask comes in handy sometimes if I haven't properly prevented it from fogging up.

I live with it.
I agree...what's a little water in the mask.....besides, I get to practice clearing my mask once in a while. If you're afraid of getting your face wet, you've got the wrong hobby :wink:
C-Dawg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom