Didn't pass swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Supernal

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I failed the swim test on my first scuba lesson.

I had to swim 8 lengths of a 50-yd pool. After about 3-1/2 lengths, the instructor told me to stop because I was clearly exhausted. I could barely get out of the pool. I didn't think I was THAT out of shape because I walk a fair bit, but I guess I am, especially in the upper body.

I was fine at treading water.

I'm glad I signed up for swimming lessons, starting this Sunday. I'm also starting deep water aquafit 3x a week.

My new goal is to get fit enough to take scuba training later on.

I'll STILL see you all underwater - just a little later than I thought! :wink:

Well, keep working on it. You'll get it. If you have no upper body strength, you can still lie on your back and do a frog-kick and you'll find that with a little practice, you can kick and glide, kick and glide, around the pool. Also, the sidestroke is a good one for distance swimming, especially if you can switch from using one side to the other. Good luck!

Supernal:
Well, I failed the swim test on my first scuba lesson.

I had to swim 8 lengths of a 50-yd pool. After about 3-1/2 lengths, the instructor told me to stop because I was clearly exhausted. I could barely get out of the pool. I didn't think I was THAT out of shape because I walk a fair bit, but I guess I am, especially in the upper body.

I was fine at treading water.

I'm glad I signed up for swimming lessons, starting this Sunday. I'm also starting deep water aquafit 3x a week.

My new goal is to get fit enough to take scuba training later on.

I'll STILL see you all underwater - just a little later than I thought! :wink:
Maybe you're not streamlined enough in the water. Which stroke were you using?

Supernal:
Thanks, Frank.

Part of the problem is that my swimming technique is very poor so I use a LOT of energy and hardly move at all! I'll definitely work on that.

Rhonda

Clearly, you are on the right path than. Have fun at swim class and when you do take the test, take it easy, like the fish said :)

Keep up the training. Sounds like you have the right attitude. Luckily when I did my swim test I was in the Military and young. Now I am Married and Happy, which is old and fat :D.

Supernal:
I alternated between a dog paddle and a back stroke.

No wonder you got so tired!

Ii alternate breast stroke, back stroke, back float/kick and side stroke when I have to cover distance swimming. And I swim like a brick!

You will get it.

Back
Top Bottom