Difference between all computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had the money, I would buy a Shearwater. Unfortunately I did not have the budget to buy 2 for me and my son. So i went with the Mares Quad. I know the Quad is not in the same league as a Shearwater, but it checked all the boxes i needed. Big screen, multi buttons for ease of use, and budget friendly ($190). Good luck finding the right computer for you.

Oh, and I have nothing to gain by saying this… but there’s a ‘controversial’ seller on SB right now. He’s offering the SW Perdix for quite a discount. May be worth checking him out… pay with a CC or PayPal for goods/ services to protect yourself should things go south (I’ve bought from him, and wouldn’t hesitate to do business with him again).
From what is detailed about the customer service of this "seller" in that thread (linked below), this would seem to be REALLY bad advice:

Closed: - Sold

Last edited:
...........So i went with the Mares Quad. I know the Quad is not in the same league as a Shearwater, but it checked all the boxes i needed. Big screen, multi buttons for ease of use, and budget friendly ($190).......
Have to say this looks to be right up the OP's alley as a rec diver. Guess it will be able to have multiple gasses programmed as well (did not read any reviews), it does seem to display all the required info rather well.
Another option would be the Scubapro Galileo Luna, at 50% the cost of the Perdix.
http://www.scubapro.com/en-US/USA/instruments/computers/products/galileo-luna.aspx

SW Perdix is a right choice, I guess. This is like a Mercedes — very reliable, user friendly, good both for beginners and for experienced divers.
And, of course, Perdix is much better than Aqualung i750. Better menu structure, bigger screen, doesn't lock after any violation, compass is faster and more convenient, companion software for PC, Mac, iOS and Andrioid is free.

se

i'm assuming what you find attractive about the Shearwater/Eon Steel is the display, i won't talk you out of the Eon Steel except to point out that Suunto's are more conservative than Shearwater's (or almost any other brand) which equates to less bottom time.

This is incorrect, and one should avoid making sweeping statements based upon hearsay.

The Suunto Eon and DX both use the Fused RGBM which can be just as liberal as a Shearwater (I've compared Dive plans with StuartV)

And can anyone convince me to not buy the Suunto steel ( that computer looks awesome)?

Both my wife and I are Eon users

One big part of the Eon (for its data display) is the use of AI. If you don't wish to use AI, then the Eon really would be a waste of time. The Screen and its graphical displays are unmatched by others however. I personally like that its rechargeable, others prefer the user changeable AA batteries of the Shearwater.

For sure the big colour screens of the Shearwater and the Eon are excellent, but for simple NDL warm water diving without AI, then there are lots of less expensive options, especially if you want to wear you computer as a watch all vacation. For this type of diving there really are no bad computers it all depends on what features and functions YOU feel are important to YOU

I recently bought a Perdix as a backup for my rebreather. The price hurt. I would never have bought one for vacation style diving. It is a lot of money. This is true of the Eon Steel too. Unless you REALLY need the big colour display I suggest spending one quarter of the money on a single gas entry level computer.

The Porsche analogy is not so bad. These colour displays use power, changing or charging batteries becomes regular rather that every year or two. Simple is often best.

From what is detailed about the customer service of this "seller" in that thread (linked below), this would seem to be REALLY bad advice:

Closed: - Sold
I won't let this thread get off topic. If the OP used a credit card with strong customer service/ fraud protection I doubt there would be much risk at all.
Along the same lines, the OP could just wait until one popped up (for sale by a different seller) and get a used Perdix for maybe 30% off MSRP.
I hate paying full price when I know I can save money by just waiting for the right deal too come along. With that being said everyone has their own opinion...

And, of course, Perdix is much better than Aqualung i750. Better menu structure, bigger screen, doesn't lock after any violation, compass is faster and more convenient, companion software for PC, Mac, iOS and Andrioid is free.

There are certain differences that appeal to me with the i750. Have you had a chance to use one?

The Porsche analogy is not so bad. These colour displays use power, changing or charging batteries becomes regular rather that every year or two. Simple is often best.

I change my Petrel battery about once a year, and I can do it myself, in a minute, with a AA battery and a quarter, anywhere in the world. Have had a Suunto flood after a battery change by a dive shop.

I won't let this thread get off topic. If the OP used a credit card with strong customer service/ fraud protection I doubt there would be much risk at all.
Along the same lines, the OP could just wait until one popped up (for sale by a different seller) and get a used Perdix for maybe 30% off MSRP.
I hate paying full price when I know I can save money by just waiting for the right deal too come along. With that being said everyone has their own opinion...
The risk is wasting time trying to buy a unit at a low cost when you might not ever get the unit. I like to have confidence in who/where I buy from. The seller you were suggesting has some unresolved issues that the potential buyer needs to be aware of - that's all!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom