Difference between MR22 Abyss 2005 and Newer 2007 MR22 Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geewhizgc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What is the difference between the two style Abysses? I have a Ruby and am looking at getting some newer regulators, and see several dealers offering both type of Abysses.

There have been some posts about the 2005 (and earlier) models having a cracked piece of plastic on the second stage.
Doesn't the newer Abyss have an all metal second stage? It that the main difference?

Is there any difference between the first stages?

Thank you all, in advance.

The current Abyss on the market is the 2005 version. Yes, the 2nd stage is All Metal. The Abyss uses and MR22 1st stage.

Phil

The cover and purge changed, but the changes are minor.

Note the current Abyss (2005 version) uses our new valve Tri-Material. The older one does not have this, but can be upgraded when serviced.

Phil

OK.. Thank you. That's what I was wondering. For the type of diving we do, the older models will probably be just fine, but I would rather get the latest and greatest eventually.

Note the current Abyss (2005 version) uses our new valve Tri-Material. The older one does not have this, but can be upgraded when serviced.
Phil

for sure - are you talking about 1st stage?
looking thru web sites, i found several labels on MR22:
1 - mares abyss + nothing
2 - mares abyss + dfc
3 - mares abyss + T
can you explain it please?

how much could cost this Tri-Material upgrade?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom