Difference between proton 42 and the new abyss 42

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smartalec_87

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What is the difference between the mares abyss 42 and the proton 42? is it just the second stage? I was all set to get the proton and then i found out that mares is comming out with a 42 in the abyss regulator? This will be my first regulator and i plan on dioing a lot of diving in the future. i am completing my recuse class and have already signed up for DM. so which one should i go with? thanks

Alec, it does seem to be a 42 first stage with an Abyss 2nd. To my knowledge, the abyss 2nd is reputed as a very tough, good breathing, reliable 2nd. Lots of record holders and Tech divers swear by it. But it is also known to be heavy, relative to the Proton 2nd. If you're not going to be doing any diving where you push the limits (harsh conditions and/or very deep), I think the Proton is lighter and will work great for your needs. If you want to push the limits, the Abyss seems to be a better choice.

Others might have a different take on this. I'm sure Zak or phil, will be along and set the record straight if I'm wrong.

Just trying to help!:coffee:

thanks for the reply. most of my diving so far has been in the montery area so it is fairly cold water. Also i was looking at the websitet and it says that the abyss 42 has an oil enviormental seal and the proton is a a dry enviormental seal. is this a misprint cuse i thought the first stages were the same? does this even mattter? also the proton looks like the Inhale pressure: 10.92 and Exhale pressure: 6.19. the abyss is Inhale pressure: 7.64 and
Exhale pressure: 10.56 does this help?

I own a V42 Proton Metal, and have made several dives with an older Abyss. I also service Mares regs, and have rebuilt many of them over the years.

I prefer servicing the Proton series, as it is much easier to precisely adjust the cracking effort. This is due to the access port in the reg's side. The Abyss has somewhat better exhaust bubble dispersion due to its wider exhaust tee. I only notice this when stationary, as when taking a photograph. It is not a major deal, but I do wish that Mares would make an optional larger exhaust tee for the Metal Proton.

The Proton second stage can also be easily disassembled without any tools. The Protons that I use for techincal diving all have the lock pin removed, so that I can easily remove the front covers by hand.

The Mares line of regs offer great performance, along with a rock solid design. Now that Mares is using the new tri-material HP valve assembly, they are even more dependable. I have a number of regs that have been converted to the new HP valve, and their intermediate pressure is remarkably stable even after many hours of use.

A metal second stage has many benefits over a plastic version. Dry mouth is greatly reduced. Cold water icing conditons in the second stage are also rarer. They also look better cosmetically after rough treatment.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Let me clarify a bit more
ALL the numbers at a Mares reg.has to do with the 1e stage
i.e.2-12-22-32 and 42 are all 1e stages.They also used to use a letter on the 1e stage like M or V,had to do with the HP seat and valve now the use only one valve and therefor no more letters.
Abyss-beta-proton and all the rest are 2nd stages.
As for the difference between the Abyss and the Proton
Proton is an all plastic 2nd and therefor a lightweight reg.
The Abyss is a fully brass 2nd.and thus a bit havier.
Abyss on a 22 is a top working horse.can't beat it

What is the difference between the mares abyss 42 and the proton 42? is it just the second stage? I was all set to get the proton and then i found out that mares is comming out with a 42 in the abyss regulator? This will be my first regulator and i plan on dioing a lot of diving in the future. i am completing my recuse class and have already signed up for DM. so which one should i go with? thanks

At first I thought that you had meant Abyss 22, but when I checked Mares' website sure enough, there is now an Abyss 42 in the product lineup! I also note that the Abyss 2nd stage has had a "facelift" again! I'm guessing here, but the change in the Abyss 2nd stage is probably a "refinement" rather than a major change over the 2005 2nd stage.

I have the prior version of the Abyss 22 ( the "2005" version, but with new 2007 Tri-material valve), and also the basic 2007 non-metal MR-12 Proton with Tri-material valve.

This is pretty recent stuff I guess, the last time I had checked Mares' site (maybe a month ago?) the Abyss shown was still the Abyss 22 version I have.

I think to answer your original question, either the Abyss 42 or Proton Metal 42 should be great for you, and it will really just come down to personal preference.

As to the Abyss feeling "heavy", my input would be the the MR22 1st Stage is certainly a "brute", but I do not feel that the Abyss 2nd stage is "heavy" at all (but that may just be me).

Good Luck.

so it sounds like the abyss might be a bit heavy for some it is a well performing second and is a little tougher than the proton metal. it also looks like the abyss has better heat exchange probably cuse it is bigger and has more metal. but what about the two different enviormental seals listed on the web site? are these wrong or are the first stages different? they look different on the web site? should i even worrty about the enviormental seal? thanks for all of the help so far.

Alec, I might be wrong, but I don't think either come with an environmentally sealed 1st stage. You have to add it as a separate part to your 1st stage.

Honnestly, I don't think an environmentally sealed 1st is necessary for the diving you do. Unless you go to really really cold and/or dirty water (and sorry, california water doesn't make that criteria; I'm talking 5ºC and lower). I have a V16 proton, and was considering the sealing kit. I've been down to 7 ºC with it and it worked great. I won't be going any colder than that (no ice diving for me) so I didn't get it. It would have added unnecessary weight to the reg.

Honnestly, you'll probably be fine with whichever one of those two you choose! And the difference in breathing efficiency is slight to say the least. So choose the one you prefer and/or can afford. I'm sure you'll be getting a great reg!

I wish I could afford one! :shakehead:

Hope this helps!:coffee:

I agree about the environmental seals. I would only consider it if I were diving in contaminated water. I've had my MR22 under ice and it performed well- the temps ranged from 38f-43f. I had no problems, even though my bolt snaps and webbing were frozen because we left our wet gear out between dives and the air temps were below freezing.

Ok, I am glad to see all the interest, thank you. The new line is up on the website, here goes.

We have added an Abyss 42 to the line, so now there is the Abyss 22 & Abyss 42, also the Proton 42. (Abyss 42 in Jan., Abyss 22 in late Feb.)

The 42 1st stage is smaller/lighter than the 22. The 22 all of you know, is a workhorse, very durable & reliable. If you are traveling a few times per year to dive, then the 42, if you are diving more often, all year than the 22 (which will have a face lift on the new version).

Neither comes with an environmental kit, but it is availible as an option. The 22 has an oil filled kit, the 42 has a dry kit.

The Abyss 2nd has a face lift also, but performance is still the same, just a more modern look. Note to Greg B., we do listen the new Abyss has the port to make adjustments without removing the cover. Same between the Abyss & Proton 2nd as stated above. Both have great performance. If you are traveling and diving a few times per year, the Proton is smaller and lighter. The Abyss will be the more durable, everyday workhorse.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving (even for our Int'l. friends).

Regards,

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom