difference between Scubapro S550/S555

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowyorang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Other than the S550 being discontinued, can someone tell me if there is any difference between the two?
Thanks!
Micah

Not really. The differences are minor style and detail changes.

SP does that a lot and it is frankly a bit annoying. Just look at the R380, R390, R395, R290, R295 series. The differences are in cosmetics and minor details (an anti-set device on the R380 purge cover, The lack of a diver adjustable flow vane on the R295, etc) with no real change to the inner workings or overall performance.

On the one hand it is a great thing and it represents the evolutionary design approach that Scubapro uses that ensures any changes or improvements are usually backward compatible into older models that can then be updated and retrofitted with the newer parts or features. On the other hand, at some point they went overboard on changing model numbers.

For example the Mk 20 changed substantially over the years and when they changed to an adjustable high pressure seat carrier that allowed external IP adjustment, they decided to call the Mk 20 a Mk 25. Otherwise on the day the change occurred in seat carriers, the first Mk 25 and the last Mk 20 just ahead of it on the production line were exactly the same. And in turn the Mk 25 has evolved through several changes over the years as well. Eventually they'll make just one more minor detail change and decide it is time to call it a Mk 30.

If they had applied that model numbering approach in the past there would have been at least three different model numbers used for various Mk 5's (in addition to the Mk 8, which was a Mk 5 with a non swiveling LP port cap) and a couple of more model numbers used for the Mk 10 (in addition to the Mk 9, a MK 10 with a non swiveling LP port cap, and the Mk 10 Plus, a Mk 10 with a concave seat and rounded seating edge piston).

I suspect the new model numbers thing has been driven mostly by the marketing department wanting something new to put in the catalog as opposed to the older approach that focused on longevity and "legendary" reputation to sell the same model number over longer periods of time.

So,
Would you say I would be able to update my R380/R390/R395 with S600 metal components (metal insides plus diver breathing/cracking effort adjustment knob) and face cover? Similar to upgrading a S555 to have S600 components.

Back
Top Bottom