Difference between the PADI and SDI Divemaster courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When it comes to the DM's role in promoting dive ecology, I thought I would offer a couple of anecdotes and a conclusion:

1. I was diving in Cozumel, and one of the other divers on the boat pulled on his gloves and attached his collection bag to his side in preparation for the dive. I waited for the DM to say something. I noticed he was looking at the diver but not speaking. I finally said to the diver, "We're in the marine park. You aren't allowed to wear gloves or collect anything from the reef." The diver said, "Oh! Sorry!" and took off the bag and the gloves. (The operator was Dive Paradise.)

2. I was diving off Amergris Caye in Belize, and a father and 2 sons joined the group. They were just wearing bathing suits and T-shirts because the water was so warm, but they pulled on heavy gloves before the dive, much to my surprise. As we did the dive, I saw why. They rarely used their fins for propulsion. They instead grabbed whatever aspect of the reef was readily available and pulled themselves along. I pointed this out to the DM with a "WTF?" look, but he just shrugged. We returned to the shore between dives, and I had a very pointed conversation with the DM about it. He said he would talk to them about it. They were on board for the next dive, and it was the same thing all over again. I admit not doing anything during the dive, but I made sure the owner knew I would never use his operation again. The operator was the Belize Academy of Divers.

3. I could list a bunch of times I have seen DMs harassing animals for the viewing pleasure of the divers. It was clearly the company policy to do this, and they were doing their jobs. One of those DMs was so bad about it that I let the operator (Big Island Divers in Kona, Hawai'i) know that I would not be back. I would mention another particularly bad one in Belize, but they are out of business now.

4. I was on a boat in Grand Cayman, and I saw a diver pulling on his gloves. The DM walked over to him and said "$500,000 fine for wearing gloves in the marine park." He laughed and continued to put them on. She said, "$500,000 fine for wearing gloves in the marine park. Take them off!" Her tone was quite stern, and he did indeed take them off. That operator was Ocean Frontiers.

There is a clear difference between operators when it comes to the DM's performance. I assure you that in the first three anecdotes, the DMs were told to ignore destructive diver behavior because they are paying customers who must not be upset. They were also told to do whatever it took (inflate puffer fish, create clouds of octopus ink, flip nurse sharks over, chase turtles, etc.) to amuse the paying patrons. In contrast, some operators, like Ocean Frontiers in Grand Cayman, clearly have a strong ecological conscience and make sure their DMs act accordingly.

As a DM, if you want to keep your job, you will follow the company policy. If you want to promote ocean conservation, make sure you work for a company whose policy you respect.

[I mentioned the names of the operators in the hope that it will have at least a minor ripple effect.)

I wear gloves all the time (as long as they were not left at home) and carry a netbag with me but as explained in another unrelated thread before, there are for emergencies because what if a careless diver bumped into / kicked me and I crashed into something rusty / sharp / jagged/ whathaveyou? So far no one has told me to remove them before although one dive operator had written on the board that gloves are not allowed. Anyway, to those who insist, I'll assure them that just a few minutes of watching me and it'll be obvious that they're worn for those justincase moments. As for the netbag, there were many times when my hands were full of garbage to the point that I was stuffing plastic wrappers into the top of my gloves so again if I remember, I will bring a netbag with me. The few operators who I've dove with know what they're for and do not say anything.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I've put down a deposit with the SDI instructor trainer and will be paying / taking the courses in portions because I intend to let my part time DJing pay for them and we've worked out a deal on how much to pay for the various segments. In between, I get to join leisure dives whenever he has groups going out. He has assured me that I will be allowed to assist and finally lead groups because I suppose although he's practically a one man show, he's not in it for the money.

As for the part about briefing divers (after I'm certified), I suppose a tactful way would be to tell them that MANY divers break / damage coral formations because of carelessness since their fins are plastic / rubber and they can't feel the difference between water resistance and a poor soft coral being knocked off its perch. Will phrase it as carefully as possible so that they don't feel that they're reef wreckers. A bit of teflon man doesn't hurt too since the local law has provided for a fine of around USD30,000 for breaking / removing corals from protected areas so I'll try to appeal to the law abiding side of most divers.

---------- Post added December 12th, 2013 at 01:04 AM ----------

By the way, I've downloaded the SDI Instructor Manual a few weeks ago to get an idea of the prerequisites for their various courses and noticed this part that the applicant must be an advanced diver with deep, navigation and night / limited visibility specialties. Are these really mandatory because the instructor trainer said that night / limited visibility wasn't. I already have the PADI Deep Diver specialty and wouldn't mind doing the navigation one since anything learned can only benefit me in my solo dives.

I think you missed my point on this one.

Wearing gloves is not necessarily a choice for you. In some areas in which DMs work (like Cozumel and Grand Cayman), gloves are forbidden by law. As a DM, you will be in theory expected to uphold that law. In reality, though, your employer will decide whether it is more important to obey the laws or make the customer happy. The same is true of collecting items, whether in a collecting bag or in a pocket. If it is against the law to bring things up, then it is between you and your employer whether or not you enforce it.

To repeat my main point, you said one of your goals is to use your DM position to promote environmentally safe dive practices, but whether or not you are allowed to do that will depend upon the policies of your employer.

BTW, bringing up all the trash you see on the bottom is not necessarily an environmentally friendly thing to do. It does not take long for much trash to become a part of the environment, with different organisms calling it home. Often times it is best to let it lie.

To repeat my main point, you said one of your goals is to use your DM position to promote environmentally safe dive practices, but whether or not you are allowed to do that will depend upon the policies of your employer.

BTW, bringing up all the trash you see on the bottom is not necessarily an environmentally friendly thing to do. It does not take long for much trash to become a part of the environment, with different organisms calling it home. Often times it is best to let it lie.

That's why I picked the SDI instructor instead of the PADI one. :wink: He's neutral towards the environment but at least he won't tell me that the customers come first when they're wrecking the reefs.

As for trash, the ones I bring up are usually plastic bottles and wrappers. Things like nets, I'll see. If it's been there for some time and integrated with the reef, I'll leave it alone but I sure wished I had more like minded buddies when we came across a long net at the bottom last Sunday with lots of poor fishes which had either drowned or starved to death. And it was especially heartwrenching to see two catsharks dead and decomposing in the net.

Enjoyed many of the posts in this thread.

...one suggested that you must have vast knowledge to be a DM, sure that would be good but not close to reality... kinda like saying you must be a F-1 race car driver to teach someone to drive a normal car.

For someone wishing to move into the Professional realm of diving, the SDI DM course is a very good one.

A mix of training that includes Skills evaluations and Improvement, DM level diving knowledge and understanding Leadership Techniques is a very good one. All will result in a better overall diver and role-model.

The course can be a Concentrated Program or an Internship, both can be of great benefit.

Being a DM allows you to work, assist or associate with various Instructors. Some are great and some are not... Take the best parts from each and learn from the bad you see as well.

Just to keep everyone updated on what I'm doing. I've paid a small sum (not exaggerating, it's really small) of money as a downpayment and the current arrangement is to have the CPROX / AED and Rescue Diver theory to be done as stage 1 by which time the first installment is to be paid. Then we'll move on to the Rescue Diver dives and the Divemaster theory and that's when the second installment is required. Third installment to be paid when I go out on the training dives.

In the meantime, I go out at least 3 to 4 days a week for free but also as slave labour, helping with tanks and equipment plus looking after student divers in small ways. I go on solo dives quite a bit too and have learnt a lot along the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom