Differences Between Men And Women In Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvrliz1

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ladies,

I have been a diver since 1992 and totally love the sport. When I was certified, I would guess the ratio of men to women divers was probably about 100-1.

Since the I am thrilled to see the increase in women divers, those who truly enjoy the sport.

In 2002 I was diagnosed with a non-malignant brain tumor and it was removed on Dec 2004. It was very important for me to continue diving, which I do, with precautions. I did a lot of research prior to starting to dive after surgery, and of course all my questions were directed to men both in the medical field and SCUBA field.

There were no definitive answers, so I went by trial and error with the help of some great dive experts.

This lead me to become an insider tender at the re-compression chamber on Bonaire (I am also a licenced nurse). I have treated both male and female divers in the chamber.

I want to further my research and understanding, so I pose these questions...

What do you think the biggest differences in diving are between men and women? Is it the gear? Do you prefer to dive with a man or a women? Do you feel "discriminated against" because you or a women diver? Do you feel you get more attention because you are a women diver?

Please feel free to chime in on any experiences, questions, subject matters that pertain to women in diving.

I am seriously considering putting together a seminar in November, just for women divers and would like to know issues that are not addressed as often or not at all, and try and educate ourselves in women in diving.

Thanks.

Liz

Based on my GF.

pee valve.... Critical...
size should be small.
BC no chest block design... Now she is using BP/W.
color It gives some motivation to dive more
design Should be slick...

mfg need to cater to the womans shape when designing a dry suit. They're built different, plain & simple. They've started 'molding' skivests and life jackets for the upper body, why not dry suits too? My wife doesn't dive because she doesn't like getting her hair wet and having water in her ears. Oh well, my daughter loves it and doesn't mind anything. She's spellbound by the difference in life there. But she's started into a career as a doctor so she's always looking for what's beyond the next turn. My wife on the other hand could care less. She likes lying in the sun instead of packing gear to the water.

my wife is going to get her OW certification this summer. hopefully she'll enjoy it and we could go to bonaire later (can't wait).
already i have concerns -
(1) weight on land, i definitely will have to help her to carry stuff.
(2) fit maybe an issue, hoever, it was an issue for me as well.

from my experience diving around here, ~ 60-80% of divers are males. never heard anyone joking about girls or making fun at anyone as far as diving is concerned. i never thought it was an issue.

oops, i just found out that i'm in woman's forum. i hope it's ok :)

After 30 something years diving, I believe the biggest difference between men and women diving is knowledge of limitations and making wise decisions based on that knowledge. Want to guess wich gender?!

Hoa!

One primary difference I've noticed, in the short time I've been certified, is that the majority of female scuba divers seem to hardly need any air... It's just incredible how much time they get out of an AL80, and how much they have left at the end of long, deep dive. I'm so impressed. I've also noticed that women who are in reasonably good shape, tend to be more naturally graceful in the water than most men. Of course, there are exceptions to any of the things I've mentioned above, but by and large, (in my admittedly limited experience), seem to be general truisms.

One disadvantage that I see for women, is that they naturally have less muscle mass, lower bone density, and more adipose tissue than males. If a man and a woman of similar builds were to dive to the very limits of the tables and push their ascent rates, and basically do everything to the borderline of getting bent, it seems to me that the female would end up at a higher risk of DCS.

Then again, I'm not a doctor, so I really can't say, but that's the theory I have, anyway....

I've buddied with many diving women, and the only difference I've seen consistantly between them and the men I've been diving with is that the women don't have the option of using a p-valve with their drysuits. Everything else, including air consumption, muscle mass, equipment fit, skill, enthusiasm, etc. has been a matter of individual differences, not male/female differences.

True, many of the women have had better air consumption rates than the men typically do, but several have been much worse, and the diver I know with the lowest air consumption rate is a guy. Yeah, some have had an issue with wetsuit, drysuit, or BC fit, but the same can be said of the guys... I don't know that fit issues are necessarily any worse for a busty woman than (for example) for a heavy set man with short legs. We all need to take our body shape into account when purchasing gear, whether it be exposure protection, BC, or even a mask.

Personally, I prefer to dive with enthusiastic and skillful divers. The shape of their genitalia has nothing to do with it.

dvrliz1:
Is it the gear? Do you prefer to dive with a man or a women? Do you feel "discriminated against" because you or a women diver? Do you feel you get more attention because you are a women diver?

I am too lazy to compose a well-thought out answer but I can chime in on the few questions you posed J

Gear – I think women are short-changed. Fit-wise most men have wider selection to pick from - not all men of course. I don’t care much for ‘fashion’ but I’d like to have stuff that I can feel comfortable in, and I’d like to have more than one choice. Also, I hate it that I am “special order”. Often eg men’s regular sizes are the ones in stock but I don’t have stuff to try on. It’s unfair that I have to commit to pay to try something on because it’s not stocked (some shops make you pay a fee if they order, and if I then do not buy because it did not fit – how do I know I will fit by looking at a catalogue!!!) And some stuff just plain old is not designed for female body. And I want that pee valve dangit! :)

Strength – yes it’s an issue even though not for every woman. I think an average woman, even a petite one should be able to find gear that they can haul around, and if you are motivated you can get fit enough to drag it around. It can be bit more intimidating for some women than men though. Personally it annoys me a bit to see some whining the spouses are doing on the sites – making their stronger halves do all the carrying. If you have a valid issue that you can’t get fit, ok, but if you really are committed not to get fit then maybe this sport isn’t for you. I have an injury and feel pissed every time I have to ask for help because I am embarrassed that it is interpreted as a woman-thing when it’s wound that I can’t totally fix. Some guys are less understanding of these shortcomings but generally I’ve found people to be pretty decent.

Could not care less if I dive with men or women. It’s not the gender I dive with, it’s the person. If you are cool, you are cool. I believe both guys and gals can be great buddies.

I don’t feel discriminated against. I started diving less than two years ago, and this far it’s been pretty much a mixed community, a few more guys than girls. There are places where I definitely have felt the doubting look but some of it has also been the newbie stuff. In shops I have not encountered belittling because of the gender other than some minor downplaying that might happen with every customer. (When asking about regulator service etc the person won’t bother answering the actual question but dummies it down).

I think most of negative attitude I have encountered when I have asked too many questions. Like on boat when I am slow and cautious in my preparations, and that has been interpreted as being timid/inexperienced and not ready for the dive. Guys don’t seem to ask about certain things that I always ask, and this might go to the “geez women” –category.

I don’t think I get more attention because of my gender. You get it if you ask for it I think, and in some places one could play it up more easily. Generally though the circles where I am it’s not such a novelty to be a female diver I think.

I never felt discriminated against while diving (sometimes I really enjoy being the only woman on the charter boat). My biggest grip is with wet and drysuit sizing. Dive suit manufacturers recognize that men come in sizes that range from small to XXXL. Strangely enough the same manufacturers seem to think that women only come in size tiny to XL (and their XL is equivalent to a size 14). I just wish the wetsuits and especially drysuits came in 'normal' women's sizes.

piikki:
I am too lazy to compose a well-thought out answer but I can chime in on the few questions you posed ...

...I don’t think I get more attention because of my gender. You get it if you ask for it I think, and in some places one could play it up more easily. Generally though the circles where I am it’s not such a novelty to be a female diver I think.

I like your attitude (male speaking here).

My wife has been my only buddy, and she is capable, self-sufficient, and cautious as required. If I were looking for another buddy (female), you or someone like you would rank high on my list.

PS - For being lazy, your post is rather complete and concise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom