Different brands of Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Strategist.

Rubber Ducky
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi guys,

Having recently falling in love with Diving, I was blessed to have one of my colleague who used to dive, giving me his full set of Dive Gear.

It's a Frog Indigo Wing System with Alu BP. The first and second stage is a MK25/S600 (older version).

Two quick questions that I need help with!

1) He was using an Air2 but I am not comfortable with it and would want to change it out. A LDS sells a DIR Stainless Steel Power inflator, can I buy it and change it out myself?

2) By using his Air2, he only has a primary regulator. I am planning to get a Tecline R5 Ice because the distributor in Singapore is a good friend's friend. However, I am concerned that if I go overseas with servicing kits, will the LDS in those countries be able to fix it should I have a problem with the reg?

Thanks for reading!
S

1) Yes you can change the power inflator, it isn't a complicated process. A dive shop may do it for you for free if that is where you purchase it. Ask for help from an experienced diver friend if you are worried, but the process is fairly simple and self explanatory.

2) Some dive shops will not service gear for brands they do not sell. You would need to find a Tecline dealer to be sure you are able to get service. That being said, dive gear service isn't rocket science, so a competent tech should be able to fix a 2nd stage problem for you, especially if you provide the parts. Just expect you might run into a few people uncomfortable doing the work if they are not a dealer.

Cheers,
Landon

1) Yes you can change the power inflator, it isn't a complicated process. A dive shop may do it for you for free if that is where you purchase it. Ask for help from an experienced diver friend if you are worried, but the process is fairly simple and self explanatory.

2) Some dive shops will not service gear for brands they do not sell. You would need to find a Tecline dealer to be sure you are able to get service. That being said, dive gear service isn't rocket science, so a competent tech should be able to fix a 2nd stage problem for you, especially if you provide the parts. Just expect you might run into a few people uncomfortable doing the work if they are not a dealer.

Cheers,
Landon

Thank you for the help Landon!

I was also considering learning about maintenance of regulators down the road so that I could fix my own regulators.

P/s: My Eddy Fin is en route to me, looking forward in sheer delight already! :D

You are welcome.

Why not just stick with another Scuba Pro 2nd stage to keep things consistent?

Glad to hear about the fins! Enjoy!

You are welcome.

Why not just stick with another Scuba Pro 2nd stage to keep things consistent?

Glad to hear about the fins! Enjoy!

I thought about that, although I do not have the control what brand the primary reg is, I could decide if the brand for the backup! Right now, the Tecline is a more affordable option and it's a way of helping my friend by supporting his business. So I'm kinda in a dilemma because of this.

I initially considered the Deep Six Regs as well, but shipping to and fro US from Singapore for maintenance would be quite a huge risk (USPS) and wait time (transit).

Hope I'm making sense.

You could probably find a used SP 2nd stage on here for a reasonable price, however I understand about wanting to support a friend.

We are in the process of getting things setup in Asia. You could always get service kits and do the service yourself after taking a course, or finding a shop willing to do the service there who has experience. We are going to freely publish the service manual online, anyone can download it. Any shop capable of servicing balancing diaphragm regs (pretty much any shop that does service) should be able to service the equipment easily. As a matter of fact I'm reading over our draft right now and we are almost ready to post it online after adding some more pictures.

Anyway, yeah you are totally making sense. If you decide to go with the Tecline, maybe he will change the Air2 out for you.

You could probably find a used SP 2nd stage on here for a reasonable price, however I understand about wanting to support a friend.

We are in the process of getting things setup in Asia. You could always get service kits and do the service yourself after taking a course, or finding a shop willing to do the service there who has experience. We are going to freely publish the service manual online, anyone can download it. Any shop capable of servicing balancing diaphragm regs (pretty much any shop that does service) should be able to service the equipment easily. As a matter of fact I'm reading over our draft right now and we are almost ready to post it online after adding some more pictures.

Anyway, yeah you are totally making sense. If you decide to go with the Tecline, maybe he will change the Air2 out for you.

Glad I am not out of my mind for thinking that way! :)

I am looking forward to seeing them Landon! Could always use another set of regulators for my partner :yeahbaby:

Go with the teclines, they are great gear and I like my second stages way more than any SP ive tried, especially as you can easily learn how to self-service (tecline service course), much better value and easy to get parts.

Go with the teclines, they are great gear and I like my second stages way more than any SP ive tried, especially as you can easily learn how to self-service (tecline service course), much better value and easy to get parts.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom