Different instructor’s name on card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP is in Borneo. I am not familiar with the common instructional practices there.

When I was still a fairly new diver, I did a series of dives with a shop in Fiji. One day a young man from the Netherlands dived with us. He was obviously very new, his skills were very week, and I was surprised the DM did not pay more attention to him. On each of the dives that day, he went through his air very quickly, and the DM sent him to the surface alone. I was surprised by that--pretty trusting for a clearly unskilled diver, I thought. On the second day, he was no better on the first dive of the day. We had hot dogs cooked on an island during the surface interval, and he overindulged. He did not do the second dive because of his bellyache.

When we got back to the dive shop, he as greeted on the shore by someone I had never seen before. While I was still rinsing gear, he came out of the shop with all of his paperwork for his brand new OW certification. The man who had greeted him on shore was his OW instructor. The two days of 2-tank diving he had done with us, including the dive he skipped with the bellyache, were his 4 OW checkout dives. No skills performed. No instructor in the water with him. No instructor even on the boat.

I switched to a different operator for the rest of my trip. I reported this to PADI, and they did act upon it.

@YertletheTurtle As @Scuba Legends said, the name on the card might not match the name you know for the instructor. For example, I knew my first instructor as 'Spider' but the name on the card was 'Haldane'. However, if I looked at the PADI number he put in my logbook, it was the correct instructor number.

pretty apparent spider is a nickname though unless someone had parents who really wanted their kid to be teased in school.

since it is borneo, the only instance i could see this being legit is if they used an easier to pronounce english name (eg Chris) while teaching the class but their legal name was something like Chulalongkorn when your card came.

I am assuming from your profile that this was some sort of short specialty training so this was likely not a team teaching situation. Was it? What was the specific course?
Any chance you knew your instructor by a nickname and his legal name was on the card? This could be an administrative error if the shop did the cards.
Call the shop.

I have seen cases where instructors dual teach a class/dives and then one of them gets listed as the instructor, not always the instructor that did the last dive.

I have seen cases where instructors dual teach a class/dives and then one of them gets listed as the instructor, not always the instructor that did the last dive.
Yep. I wouldn't be too concerned unless I never even saw the instructor whose name appeared on the cert.

My daughter's OW class was like this. Shop has two instructors. Both are highly qualified instructors. IIRC one is Divemaster Instructor certified, the other (shop owner) is Master Instructor. During her class, she saw both of them. The DMI did the classroom work, the MI did the pool work, and both were on the checkout dives. The DMI is listed on her card. Not a big deal as both are qualified, and both had a role in her training.

Yep. I wouldn't be too concerned unless I never even saw the instructor whose name appeared on the cert.

My daughter's OW class was like this. Shop has two instructors. Both are highly qualified instructors. IIRC one is Divemaster Instructor certified, the other (shop owner) is Master Instructor. During her class, she saw both of them. The DMI did the classroom work, the MI did the pool work, and both were on the checkout dives. The DMI is listed on her card. Not a big deal as both are qualified, and both had a role in her training.
That does not sound like the OP's situation - from reading the post it appears that the instructor that processed it was not involved in the course at all.

I've never heard of a Divemaster Instructor.
The Standard is whoever is responsible for the final OW dive is the name on the card as the certifying instructor.

've never heard of a Divemaster Instructor

I am one. Means I am allowed to certify DM candidates. Step below IT in RAID.

I've never heard of a Divemaster Instructor.
The Standard is whoever is responsible for the final OW dive is the name on the card as the certifying instructor.
SSI has a DM Instructor and a Master Instructor rating.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom