DIFFERENT Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm diving single 108's w/bpw setup, H-Pro4 can and 5' hose. I got the 5 footer because I'm only rec diving and figured the 7' would be caves and maybe penetrations. Anyway, if I try to route the hose behind the can and come accross the chest, etc., the hose is too short to get the reg to my mouth. Meaning that I can only route the hose down and under my right arm, accross my chest, behind my neck and the reg hits the mouth. Since everything is a tight package w/no looping or anything, is this ok? I have no problem deploying and donating, but wanted to get some feedback on this. BTW- my upper cam band is as far up on the tank as possible (right at the break). I've seen posted where people are routing 5' hoses under the can and I'm thinking that they must be vertically challanged. As for me I'm only 5'9", and it just doesn't happen.

francousteau:
I'm diving single 108's w/bpw setup, H-Pro4 can and 5' hose. I got the 5 footer because I'm only rec diving and figured the 7' would be caves and maybe penetrations. Anyway, if I try to route the hose behind the can and come accross the chest, etc., the hose is too short to get the reg to my mouth. Meaning that I can only route the hose down and under my right arm, accross my chest, behind my neck and the reg hits the mouth. Since everything is a tight package w/no looping or anything, is this ok? I have no problem deploying and donating, but wanted to get some feedback on this. BTW- my upper cam band is as far up on the tank as possible (right at the break). I've seen posted where people are routing 5' hoses under the can and I'm thinking that they must be vertically challanged. As for me I'm only 5'9", and it just doesn't happen.

Sounds to me like you have the routing right. The 7 footer goes under the light, but a 5 foot hose is way to short for that. It just runs under your right arm, across the chest, up between your neck and your left shoulder, and behind your neck. Position the tank for proper trim and valve position, not to put the long hose port as low as possible so you can run it under a light on your hip. If you ever get a 7 foot hose keep the tank position so the tank is in the right place, let the additional 2 feet of hose make the trip under the canister on your right hip.

Truth be told, for a while I put my EMT shears on my right hip and ran my 7 foot hose under that because I had the battery canister hanging on the right side of my plate.

My tech instructor runs the long hose under both armpits. He is not DIR so he does not have such strong guidelines for hose routing, he is quite comfortable with his routing, but I found it to be less comfortable than the "standard" routing of under the canister but over the left shoulder and not in the armpit.

To each his or her own.

Mark Vlahos

I'm a rec diver who uses a BP and the long hose. I started with a 5', went to a 6' and ended up with a 7'.

The 7' is just easier to control and stow and it easier to make fine adjustments to the neck loop by releasing more hose from beneath the canister or the tuck under the belt loop. I found the 5' moved around too much and the 6' was worse.

I am 5' 11'

francousteau:

As I understood it, the 7ft hose is to faciliteate single-file swimming in an overhead environment while sharing air. Since this is unnecessary in open water, the 5ft hose should (or can) be used. It is just routed under the arm. That is how I have mine arranged.

PerroneFord:
As I understood it, the 7ft hose is to faciliteate single-file swimming in an overhead environment while sharing air. Since this is unnecessary in open water, the 5ft hose should (or can) be used. It is just routed under the arm. That is how I have mine arranged.

Yes the 7' hose is so you can swin single file through a restriction. I use a 7' hose on both my doubles rig (Cave diving) and my singles rig (standard recreational diving). Do I NEED the 7' hose in a recreational environment, certainly not. For years divers only had one second stage, if they had to share air they would buddy breathe. We live, we learn. Backup second stages make the process easier. I use the 7' hose because it makes my life a little easier, I always route the hose the same regardless of which rig I am using. If you are using a 5' hose I think that is great, after all you are the one who owns your gear and you are the one that needs to be comfortable using it. :)

Mark Vlahos

I am also with PerroneFord. I am using 5 ft due to my body size... LOL~~~

PerroneFord:

I think if I had a canister light, I'd also use a 7ft hose. But since that is probably over a year away for me, the 5ft is going to do nicely.

Of course, it is a different story with a canister light..... But, I don't see any rec. divers who are using a canister light.... Maybe, there are some in somewhere though.... :)

PerroneFord:
I think if I had a canister light, I'd also use a 7ft hose. But since that is probably over a year away for me, the 5ft is going to do nicely.

hoosier:
Of course, it is a different story with a canister light..... But, I don't see any rec. divers who are using a canister light.... Maybe, there are some in somewhere though.... :)
I use em... and darn near everyone I dive with uses them too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom