DIFFERENT Long hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

francousteau:
I'm diving single 108's w/bpw setup, H-Pro4 can and 5' hose. I got the 5 footer because I'm only rec diving and figured the 7' would be caves and maybe penetrations. Anyway, if I try to route the hose behind the can and come accross the chest, etc., the hose is too short to get the reg to my mouth. Meaning that I can only route the hose down and under my right arm, accross my chest, behind my neck and the reg hits the mouth. Since everything is a tight package w/no looping or anything, is this ok? I have no problem deploying and donating, but wanted to get some feedback on this. BTW- my upper cam band is as far up on the tank as possible (right at the break). I've seen posted where people are routing 5' hoses under the can and I'm thinking that they must be vertically challanged. As for me I'm only 5'9", and it just doesn't happen.

You have the correct routing for a 5ft hose. The 7ft hose can be routed under the can.

What makes you think you can't use a 7ft hose in open water?

R..

jonnythan:
Yup... 5' is not long enough with a can light. Get the 7' from TDL for $28:
What would be the point to get a 7 footer? Just so I can route under the can? I mean, is there a more practical reason than that? The 5' puts enough space between me and the person I am donating to, right? Not trying to be argumentative, but with my diving style, I'm just weighing the options/benefits.

jonnythan:
I use em... and darn near everyone I dive with uses them too.
Going out on different boats and wreck diving off the NJ coast I'm one of the few that use a can, but I don't know why Hoosier thinks a can light would not be suitable for a rec diver.

The 7' routes more cleanly and much more easily with a can light.

Obviously you're having an issue with the 5' hose and the can light.. the solution is to get a 7' hose. The 5' hose is a comprimise for those who don't own and don't plan to get a canister light and don't want to shove the thing under the waist belt.

The 7' hose is the proper hose and will fit perfectly into your setup.

jonnythan:
Obviously you're having an issue with the 5' hose and the can light..
Don't know where you got that from, but you're wrong. :06: I'm just looking for opinions/advice from more experienced divers than myself. In other words, am I ok with the 5 footer or would I be better served with a 7' hose and if so why? Certainly not just so it can wrap under the can.

Diver0001- I don't have any objections to the 7' in open water. I think that was someone else who said something along those lines.

You're better served with the 7' hose, because it routes more cleanly and easily (ie, under the can).

Good for you and your inner circle buddies. We don't have that much to see in a local quarry. The cannon HID is enough and even 5 ft long hose looks odd here.:wink:

jonnythan:
I use em... and darn near everyone I dive with uses them too.

francousteau:
What would be the point to get a 7 footer? Just so I can route under the can? I mean, is there a more practical reason than that? The 5' puts enough space between me and the person I am donating to, right? Not trying to be argumentative, but with my diving style, I'm just weighing the options/benefits.

For me there was a real difference.

I started out with the 5' host for the same reasons mentioned in the OP, but soon found that with the "under the arm" routing, the hose would run in the center-front right about where the bungeed backup would sit, so I would get them caught on each other. Sometimes when reaching for the backup I would have the long hose in the way, slowing things down.

I switched on the 7' hose, and since it goes from my right waist to my left shoulder, it it separate from the backup reg, and just works better for me.

P.S. Before anyone suggests my bungeed backup is too low, I don't think so. I can get to it hands-free and if it was any tighter I would have problems lowering my head. :wink:

Of course, with the 5' hose routing with a can light, you avoid the "light cord over or under the long hose" question. If you added a 7' hose, you have an extra step when doing an air share or an s-drill. You don't have that problem with the 5'er because it never makes contact with the light cord. If the 5' hose works for your diving and you do not plan on moving to overhead environments, keep it. If you plan on moving to overhead or deco diving, you might want to switch so you don't have to relearn the procedures involved with a different hose routing.

Both of your posts were more of the info I was looking for (but I thank the others too for their information).
Hmmm, which way am I going to go now????????

radinator:
For me there was a real difference.

I started out with the 5' host for the same reasons mentioned in the OP, but soon found that with the "under the arm" routing, the hose would run in the center-front right about where the bungeed backup would sit, so I would get them caught on each other. Sometimes when reaching for the backup I would have the long hose in the way, slowing things down.

I switched on the 7' hose, and since it goes from my right waist to my left shoulder, it it separate from the backup reg, and just works better for me.

Robert Phillips:
Of course, with the 5' hose routing with a can light, you avoid the "light cord over or under the long hose" question. If you added a 7' hose, you have an extra step when doing an air share or an s-drill. You don't have that problem with the 5'er because it never makes contact with the light cord. If the 5' hose works for your diving and you do not plan on moving to overhead environments, keep it. If you plan on moving to overhead or deco diving, you might want to switch so you don't have to relearn the procedures involved with a different hose routing.

I believe at this point in your diving, a 5 foot hose is fine. If you decide to move into more technical realms, then a 7 foot hose would be a natural and fairly easy progression.

I personally use a 7 foot version for all of my diving regardless of cylinder(s). If I am not using a cannister light, I simply tuck the hose loop into my harness belt. I use the longer version because I want my various regulators to be configured in a common manner. This allows me to handle situations in a smooth, well practiced manner.

Whether I am cave diving, wreck diving, or just admiring a recreational dive, I find that the hose lays in a clean manner that works extremely well with my 6'3" frame.

I started diving with a backplate in '74, "progressed" to a "modern jacket" during the 80s, and went back to a Hogarthian rig in 2000. My only regret is that I ventured from the BP in the first place. IMHO, they can't be beat....

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Scuba Diving Magazine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom