Different primary and Octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dredgy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, not certified yet, but have done a few discover dives overseas in my life, but am employed on a film shoot that necessitates I finally learn to dive properly so yay!

I have bought myself a Mares Abyss 52X first stage and the accompanying second stage, and was wondering if it was advisable to use a cheaper octopus rather than another Abyss. The Abyss second stage is awesome, but for my back up reg, I would rather carry something lighter for travel and something cheaper (travelling through Africa so high chance of my bags being broken into, so would like to keep insurance budget as low as possible).

Was looking at using the loop octopus paired with abyss primary. Possible?

my personal opinion is to match as you can read about on here quite readily. Performance, convenience, etc. Bryan @Lake Hickory Scuba is a Mares guru and can probably give better advice on this since you definitely want to "keep it in the family" for service

I'm in the school of thought that the Occtopu should be as good, if not better, than your main reg. When its wanted it must work giving the gas your buddy needs.

Putting it the other way round; if you needed someone elses occtopus would you be happy with a second rate one?

Ok... not much experience here... but I'll throw my 2 psi in...

Just about any octopus made today is plenty safe, and usable.

My octo is a SP R195, I see plenty of people use that regulator as their primary... just because I have a higher quality (ie more expensive) primary then a R195 it doesn't mean I need to throw money away to have a matching octo and primary...

Buy a modern (new our used) octopus, get it tuned to your primary (and serviced if used) and enjoy your dives...

Your regulator set will be plenty safe for you, and a buddy should the need arise. Spend the extra money on some beers when traveling...

Thanks all, I appreciate the input. Will likely get the identical. Whoever is doing risk assessment will likely mandate it anyway.

Would still like to know if it’s technically possible and what the technical considerations are when matching first and second stages so I can be as informed as possible.

Putting it the other way round; if you needed someone elses occtopus would you be happy with a second rate one?

In an out-of-Air situation, I probably wouldn’t be complaining about comfort of equipment and just take what I get given :p Maybe when I get more experience I will have the luxury of being fussy. I am by far the least experienced diver on the team, so I’m sure no ones gonna lose their head if they get a slightly less than optimal reg. But your point is well taken.

Ok... not much experience here... but I'll throw my 2 psi in...

Just about any octopus made today is plenty safe, and usable.
My octo is a SP R195, I see plenty of people use that regulator as their primary... just because I have a higher quality (ie more expensive) primary then a R195 it doesn't mean I need to throw money away to have a matching octo and primary...
Buy a modern (new our used) octopus, get it tuned to your primary (and serviced if used) and enjoy your dives...
Your regulator set will be plenty safe for you, and a buddy should the need arise. Spend the extra money on some beers when traveling...

Good to know, was really wondering if there was technical inability that would stop two different second stages from working properly. Doesn’t seem to be the case?

It’s not my money at least so not a huge deal either way!

Good to know, was really wondering if there was technical inability that would stop two different second stages from working properly. Doesn’t seem to be the case?

It’s not my money at least so not a huge deal either way!
The only consideration would be to make sure that your primary and alternate operate on the same IP. Almost all regs (first and seconds) operate with an IP of about 135 psi, but the Poseidon Cyklon runs at about 165, so you can't mix and match it with other brands. At $500, it would be a pretty expensive octo, anyway.

Thanks all, ..

In an out-of-Air situation, I probably wouldn’t be complaining about comfort of equipment and just take what I get given
C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
Maybe when I get more experience I will have the luxury of being fussy. I am by far the least experienced diver on the team, so I’m sure no ones gonna lose their head if they get a slightly less than optimal reg. But your point is well taken.

The difference between regulators is when you demand the maximum performance, like when you’ve just gone OOA. A lower specification reg might appear to not give you the air you demand; even if its ½ second, your brain will tell you you’re not getting anything.

Aside from IP already mentioned:
Do not pair an unbalanced 2nd stage with an overbalanced 1st. 52x is not overbalanced.
If doing cold water diving (below 50F) be sure Octo is also CW rated. 52x can have cw dry kit added for cw use, Abyss is then okay for the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom