Different Types of EMT Shears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost my EMT shears, and have bougth a pair of Martha Stewart Stainless Steel Kitchen Shears for 3 dollars at Kmart. Haven't tried them on fishing line yet, but I also carry a small knife and a line cutter as backup. I can't imagine Martha Stewart not being able to cut herself out of any situation (legal issues aside):D

Drill out the rusting rivet, go to a marine store and get a stainless steel nut and bolt. Use instead of the rivet. Tighten the nut until the resistence of the two blades on the shears is to your satisfaction, then "peen" (hit it hard with a hammer to flatten it a bit) the male end of the bolt. This will make sure the nut does not come off.

I have found that my rivets come apart when I am cutting something. Murphy's Law, I guess. After I broke my second pair I tried to inspect them but it is hard to tell when a rivet may fail. I like Imorin's idea and will have to try it.

Back
Top Bottom