digging underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess the problem would be deterioration of visibility :shakehead when you start digging into the soil. May of coarse depend on the type of soil.

A better idea might be a kind of uw vacuum cleaner. Cousteau used one of these during archeological survey. It was called 'suceuse' (btw, don't start to google 'suceuse', you'll end up in an entirely different world :redface:).

I guess with a pump and some tubing you can build one yourself. But, unless you can drive your pump underwater, the system needs a part at the surface.

water
flow
|
\/

| |
| |
| ----------
| ---------- <- suction
| |
| |

|
\/
water+
debris
flow

Maybe a cylinder of compressed air could be used to drive the system (just thinking aloud)...

I was thinking of doing the digging between tides when there is a current to push some of the sand away.

Nice and flat and fits neatly into a BC pocket. I used to use one a lot on certain wreck dives where I was after ship's cutlery and dinnerware. Just fan away at the silt and sand, beats digging, where you might damage a nice find.

WizFromOz:smilepong

Use your scooter, you just turn it around, and blast away. It gets messy, but it works. Its not uncommon.
Dave

Depending on the bottom sediment...I have used a Turkey baister, as a JET to move small sediment....try an Underwater metal detector to locate metalic items., and the sounding response will give you an estimate on the depth of the object....then detirmine your approach....a small DRYWALL tapers 6" knife, works very well for a digging tool, light and small, easy to use and doesn`t stir up much...see ya` under

Use a metal rod to probe the sediment before you dig. With some practice you can tell the difference between rock, metal or glass.

Just my 2 psi.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom