Dimension BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corvinus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife and I recently purchased Aqualung Dimension weight integrated BCs. There are two removable weight pockets in front and two weight pockets in back close to the tank. The BCs are comfortable and allow the diver to float horizontally underwater. On the surface, though, it is difficult to stay in a vertical position or to float on your back. The BC rocks you forward such that you have to keep your regulator in your mouth or use a snorkel. We were both weighted evenly between the weight pockets in front and back. Does anyone have any ideas how to compensate for this?

I have a dimension too. The short answer is you can’t. Any back inflate BC or backpack/wing will tip you forward on the surface.

You can try putting a little less air into the BC or pulling your knees towards your chest. Or a steel tank instead of aluminium.

I find it tips me forward on the surface when I’m vertical but I can manage it fine. Surface swims on my back are not an issue for me at least.

Once you get the hang of it you will love the Dimension.

Oh and triple check the weight pockets are secure before each dive.

probably using too much lead. Do a proper weight check. no need to inflate where this happens when using correct amount of lead. How much lead are you using? how much do you weigh? wet suit or dry suit? 3mm suit or 7mm suit? fresh water or salt water?

I was weighted perfectly with a total of 12 pounds with a 3mm suit. Tank was the standard aluminum 80. At the beginning of the dive, I was slightly positive at the surface.

I always advise no more than 30-40% of weight in back, for the sake of being able to establish buoyancy in an emergency. Which has nothing to do with your comfort issue.
Inflate just enough at the surface, don't fill the BC. And you can try to lean way back and lay on the bladder, rather than try to hang vertical.

My wife and I recently purchased Aqualung Dimension weight integrated BCs. There are two removable weight pockets in front and two weight pockets in back close to the tank. The BCs are comfortable and allow the diver to float horizontally underwater. On the surface, though, it is difficult to stay in a vertical position or to float on your back. The BC rocks you forward such that you have to keep your regulator in your mouth or use a snorkel. We were both weighted evenly between the weight pockets in front and back. Does anyone have any ideas how to compensate for this?

You'll need to redistribute more of your weight to the back and less at the front. Too much weight at the front of the body with a back-inflate can tip you forward. How much weight can your back (camband?) pockets hold? Can you put more or all of your 12 lbs in those?

Do you have 2 cam bands (tank straps)? If you do and you can't fit more weights in the existing back weight pockets, you can attach 2 more weight pockets (like XSScuba or others) to your other cam strap.

It might take moving a little at a time to get it just right for you.

I always advise no more than 30-40% of weight in back, for the sake of being able to establish buoyancy in an emergency. Which has nothing to do with your comfort issue.
Inflate just enough at the surface, don't fill the BC. And you can try to lean way back and lay on the bladder, rather than try to hang vertical.
Thank. I tried that. If I lean way back, it works as long as I am kicking. As soon as I relax, I am right back into the face down position.

You can't blow it up like a normal jacket BC. You want to add just enough gas to float you, then you kind of raise your legs and lean back. Make sure your weight is well-distributed. It shouldn't push your face forward unless you have too much gas in it, and all of your weight is forward.

Try putting a larger portion of your weight in the trim pockets on the back, and try putting a smaller amount of gas in it at the surface and see if it still acts that way. It sucks that it doesn't have a crotch strap, that helps too. There will be a happy medium somewhere, enough people dive back inflate BC's of varying flavors that we've pretty well solved the problem. I doubt the Dimension is so radically different that you won't be able to lick the problem.

You can't blow it up like a normal jacket BC. You want to add just enough gas to float you, then you kind of raise your legs and lean back. Make sure your weight is well-distributed. It shouldn't push your face forward unless you have too much gas in it, and all of your weight is forward.

Try putting a larger portion of your weight in the trim pockets on the back, and try putting a smaller amount of gas in it at the surface and see if it still acts that way. It sucks that it doesn't have a crotch strap, that helps too. There will be a happy medium somewhere, enough people dive back inflate BC's of varying flavors that we've pretty well solved the problem. I doubt the Dimension is so radically different that you won't be able to lick the problem.
Thanks. I will try that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom