Question DIN thread repairs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norwegian Cave Diver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have two Din Valves that had been slightly damaged. Been hit just enough that my Din first stage screws in but with some difficulty. I would like a tool to screw into the valve to reset the threads. Anybody sell that tool somewhere?

Typically, if it just slightly out of round. Screw in a stainless DIN plug and beat around the valve diameter with a deadblow hammer. Don't use a brass plug, you need something harder than the brass valve itself.
If it is bent badly enough that the din plug won't screw in, you are hosed and need a new valve.

When this happens, I don't think twice about it, I replace the valve. I don't want to have that valve behind my head with a first stage attached to this valve under pressure.

Valves are cheap. Like $40. Or I think DGX has them on special at 2 for $80. I keep a few on hand at all times, just for such occasions.

Not worth trying to screw in a reg and possibly fubbinking up those threads.

Easy and probably as cheap as trying to scrounge up a special tool... or pay a machine shop to do something. And if the threads inside a fitting are actually boogered up, then at 3,000 pounds, I REALLY don't want to be standing there when you fill that if your fix was just chasing the brass threads with a thread-cutting tap.

I also would not risk it. If the inner threads on the valve are somehow damaged and the valve screws in, it may not hold a seal and lead to air loss.

If it was me, I would also replace the valve.

I have two Din Valves that had been slightly damaged. Been hit just enough that my Din first stage screws in but with some difficulty. I would like a tool to screw into the valve to reset the threads. Anybody sell that tool somewhere?
If the connector is truly "out of round," you may be s.o.l; but if it is just a minor thread damage issue, say, a sub-idiot was attempting his best to cross-thread your fancy brass; or a crew member knocked your loose regulator to the deck, while refilling tanks -- while holding his cup of coffee and a cigarette in one hand, I would suggest the "DIN Plug Orthodontist" -- specifically marketed for repairing DIN plugs, but also effective on regulators -- something that I've had in my kit for years . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.21.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.21.59 AM.png
    345.4 KB · Views: 43
If the connector is truly "out of round," you may be s.o.l; but if it is just a minor thread damage issue, say, a sub-idiot was attempting his best to cross-thread your fancy brass; or a crew member knocked your loose regulator to the deck, while refilling tanks -- while holding his cup of coffee and a cigarette in one hand, I would suggest the "DIN Plug Orthodontist" -- specifically marketed for repairing DIN plugs, but also effective on regulators -- something that I've had in my kit for years . . .

Any idea where to get one ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom