Din to Yoke Adapters - are there differences in quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had basically the same situation but I had an adapter. It got me thinking though....If the yoke insert was so corroded I wonder what the inside of the tank was like.

The inside of the tank probably looks brand new. The DIN insert being corroded does not correlate at all to the inside of the tank.

I have several $25 adapters that I bought 7 to 9 years ago.They have never given me nor my family members any issue.

The inside of the tank probably looks brand new. The DIN insert being corroded does not correlate at all to the inside of the tank.
Correct. In the case of the DIN insert the threads are exposed to the water. Do a bunch of dives and never pull the inserts and they will stick in place. Has nothing to do with the air passage.

Absolutely.

I had a technical student who bought inexpensive din adapters. He could not get them to stop leaking on a number of yoke tanks in Bonaire. He was unable to complete one of his training dives as a result. Saving a few buck almost jeapordized his entire certification.

I ended up having to lend him one of mine from xsscuba. Leaks stopped. Apparently, there are some adapter / yoke valve combinations where there is interference between the adapter seating face and the valve body preventing the oring from sealing properly.
Great point!

I don't consider the XS Scuba din adapters ($50) to be ones OP is referring to as "cost 3x more" than other brands. Perhaps the lesson here is there absolutely is a difference between high quality adapters and low quality adapters, but you can get high quality adapters for far less than the $200-$300 price tag of some brands.
Very true, i just looked at the most expensive ones and saw the material was titanium.

Why on earth would you make one out of titanium? And why on earth would someone buy one? Ugh... For less than $300 you could just buy a yoke first stage.

The only times I’ve ever had issue with my DGX adapter sealing it’s been the tank valve o ring, so not the adapter at all.

Why on earth would you make one out of titanium? And why on earth would someone buy one? Ugh... For less than $300 you could just buy a yoke first stage.

The only times I’ve ever had issue with my DGX adapter sealing it’s been the tank valve o ring, so not the adapter at all.

Right! I have no idea why anyone would but a $300 adapter period. Maybe for those people who like to buy the most expensive gear out there. I saw them for $25-30 bucks and figured that's my price range :). I figured that buying one for $50-90 would be just a waste of money and sounds like everyone agrees. So thanks for everyone's response.

The biggest difference is the weight. One probably isn't a big deal but going somewhere that only has yoke tanks and you are planning on tech diving with multiple tanks it can definitely be an issue. Ebay is your friend for the lighter ones at a descent price. The DGX ones work just fine but are heavy.

I had one that was longer and pushed the reg forward making it a head banger. Other than that, it’s a hunk of metal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom