• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

din valve or k valve for pony

Discussion in 'Scuba Certification Agency Q&A' started by striper, Jun 19, 2012.

1. striper

striper Registered

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I'm looking to get a backup air source a 13-19 cu ft with a second on a 48" hose using it primarily in 40'-60' fsw. Does the DIN connection have any advantages over the yoke style? I use pro valves on my primary tank so swapping reg. out is not a issue I'm just looking for a buddy bottle on shallower divers.

2. decompression

decompression Instructor...seriously...

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    DIN has almost no disadvantages compared to a yoke valve. Although I'm assuming you've really thought out the "why I want a pony bottle" issue.

3. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Banned

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
  4. RJP

RJP Scuba Media & Publications

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    DIN valve allows for a more streamline reg set up; no knob etc like on a yoke. Less chance of it getting snagged on something. Plus a little lighter.

5. markmantei

markmantei Professional Photographer

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'll second RJP, when I setup my pony, I figured that, other advantages aside, the more streamlined DIN connection would be much better. I didn't like the extruding components of the yoke for something that was hanging below.

6. striper

striper Registered

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    thanks the more streamline DIN looks to be the way to go I was questioning the yoke for the same reasons.

7. Dive the World

Dive the World Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    DIN is def the way to go, I have changed the valves of two of my tanks and the pony. I know you did not bring this up - but consider getting a bigger stage. because you seem to be heading towards rec tec - an S40 would be ideal and you would be able to use it for longer dives and deeper dives with multiple O2 combinations.

Just my 2 cents

8. billgraham

billgraham Contributor

# of Dives:
    It is possible to knock a yoke reg off the valve, this can't happen with a din fitting.