din valve or k valve for pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

striper

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to get a backup air source a 13-19 cu ft with a second on a 48" hose using it primarily in 40'-60' fsw. Does the DIN connection have any advantages over the yoke style? I use pro valves on my primary tank so swapping reg. out is not a issue I'm just looking for a buddy bottle on shallower divers.

DIN has almost no disadvantages compared to a yoke valve. Although I'm assuming you've really thought out the "why I want a pony bottle" issue.

Scuba Failure at 80 feet: GoPro Hero 2 - YouTube

this might be relevant....the yoke o ring on my pony blew during a dive....It makes sense to use the same type of fitting that your main tank has especailly if that is a DIN...

DIN valve allows for a more streamline reg set up; no knob etc like on a yoke. Less chance of it getting snagged on something. Plus a little lighter.

I'll second RJP, when I setup my pony, I figured that, other advantages aside, the more streamlined DIN connection would be much better. I didn't like the extruding components of the yoke for something that was hanging below.

thanks the more streamline DIN looks to be the way to go I was questioning the yoke for the same reasons.

DIN is def the way to go, I have changed the valves of two of my tanks and the pony. I know you did not bring this up - but consider getting a bigger stage. because you seem to be heading towards rec tec - an S40 would be ideal and you would be able to use it for longer dives and deeper dives with multiple O2 combinations.

Just my 2 cents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom