DIN vs. Yoke vs. Online vs. LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I purchased my Apeks TX50, DS4 with TX40 Octo for $319 (US) from Dive Inn in Spain. (http://www.scubastore.com) Shipping was round $20. This was a few months ago - and I checked to day and they still have this same set up at that price (althugh it is on back order). Everywhere I checked in the US (on-line and several LDS sources) couldn't touch that price.

Hello,

If you mail ordered the apeks you will have service problems (for the annual service).

The biggest reason I went with din was for my stage bottles. I didn't want some fool on the dive boat slaping his/her yoke regulator on my o2 clean tank. I wanted some aditional buffer in place to prevent this mishap. Now the ONLY way for them to do that is have a DIN regulator or some din/yoke adapter and if they do that then they deserve to have a flash/kb :)

Ed

To get your Apeks serviced, just put it in a box and send it to someone states side who will fix it for ya. I don't have a service center for who knows how far away. No biggie. If I can't fix it, I'll send it away.
I was going to order a TX40/DS4 DIN, but I'm hearing that they are planning on discontinuing the TX regs and going with the ATX line. I'm doing some digging to confirm this. If this is the case, then I'll get the ATX line instead. I wouldn't purposely order a reg that is going to be discontinued.

Take care.

Mike

Hey guys :) (and gals)

I am an employee of Sport Chalet and currently work in the Dive Dept. of store #10 in Valencia, Ca. Im not sure who told you that they couldnt get it in Din, but they are a complete moron. Most likely got hired into the dive department and doesnt even dive himself. If you let me know what regulator you are interested in i can get you a price quote on it and what a din adapter would cost for that specific model.

Ive recently gotten din adapters for my Titan and for my Spectrum/XR2 units and they've worked wonderfully so far with my new HP 100 :)

Therrin

Therrin,

Welcome to the board!

I do have to add that the spectrum/xr2 is a joke! It's a piece of junk that fails miserably with performance, reliability and design. I recently pulled one out of service because of the horrible problems I have had with the unit. When you get down to the bottom line the design flaws will definately turn your stomache. I for one am glad to see the old seaquestion product line go out the door and the apeks line come in.

Ed

Ed,

If you are on a boat with others that are so stupid they would
attach their regulator to a tank other than their own (O2 clean
or otherwise) .. man, you are on the WRONG boat.

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that YOUR bottles of any
size or content are marked with your name, etc. That should
be clue #1 to the (and I hate to use this word) *strokes* that
the bottle is NOT theirs to use.

Cripes.

G_M

Green_Manelishi,

Well we do not live in a perfect world. We do however live in a world where some sites (i.e. coz) use rubber band to indicate nitrox tanks, and all sorts of strange and for a lack of better terminology idiotic behavior and practices happen often. I have seen several things and the statement I made about use of DIN as a safety caution is just ONE of the MANY benefits.

Just like the other day in the grocery store some old woman stole the shopping basket I was using, it was about 1/2 full of groceries and she just grabed it and walked off. I tailed her and she knew it was not hers as she started dumping things out.

Things like this happen and I for one like that slight added bonus feature cause you never know when some idiot will try something stupid.

Am I on the wrong boat? I doubt it as the majority of the boats I go out on anymore is with groups that I put together. I do screening and it helps minimize safety problems. Does this mean it won't happen? NO because we are human and humans make mistakes.

Ed

Therrin,

I already bought my reg, but Thank you for your offer. I actually, bought my reg at the Sport Chalet in Long Beach. I got a Mares V16 + Epos when you guys were having the Christmas season sale on it.

I've also noticed that (like yourself) most of the guys at the Sport Chalet dive centers are very helpful and professional. The idiot (liar?) that I dealt with seems to be a rare exception.

Out of curiosity...
(As you too have mentioned) Sport Chalet dive centers seem to carry only Yoke first stages and sell the DIN adapter (converter? converter kit?) separately. Are regulators, equipped with the DIN first stages to begin with, not popular enough for Sport Chalet to carry? Personally, it doesn't matter anymore ... I dive with a Yoke first stage and AL80s ... I don't do any overhead stuff and carrying a little extra lead doesn't bother me. But, I'm still curious.

Also...
any info on plans for a sale for the Seaquest Pro QD's?

Take care

I bought theapeks tx-100 for $259 at dive and surf, ended up sending $38 additional up to Canada to get the Din Conversion. I hope it comes, if not they wanted $85 at dive and surf, anyone know where I can pay less if this one from Canada fails to arrive?
thanks

Back
Top Bottom