Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You may read the standard EN 144-1

http://www.swiss-cave-diving.ch/PDF-dateien/Tauchen-Normung-EN144_V2.6_15042008.pdf

A very loooong german text, sorry
The interesting part is on page 62 the picture top left
Thanks. What I'm talking about is shown clearly on page 60.

The threads on the male 200/232 bar coupling are 14mm long, total length of the wide portion is 17mm. The female 300 bar coupling is 22mm deep so the 200/232 bar male coupling is 5mm too short to bottom out and seal. In addition, the protruding part of the 200/232 bar male coupling is 12mm wide and 4mm long while the corresponding depression in the 300 bar female coupling is 10.5mm wide. The male can't enter the female even if were long enough to bottom out.

A 300 bar fill whip have no threads close to the tip, so it will not connect to a 232 bar valve. DIN is very close to idiot proof.

Another advantage with DIN is that the O-ring is on the regulator. That means that on a dive trip I am responsible for the O-ring rather than the tank owner.

(First post on SB. Have been reading for a while)
I use a 300bar whip to decant to 232bar cylinders.

I use a 300bar whip to decant to 232bar cylinders.
Fill whip or decanting whip?

As mentioned before, my decanting whip fits both types of DIN valve. Which is different from any 300 bar fill whip I've used. Since I use a single tank and don't have a second post where I can mount a 1st stage with an SPG, I opted for a whip with a manometer.

Get Yoke.

If you really get into this sport, you'll eventually be buying more gear. Grab a DIN reg as your second purchase. That way you'd have some spare equipment in the case of main reg problems, not have to mess with adapter when going somewhere that is DIN only, and have an option for a pony down the road if you choose to use one.

I have over 1200 dives, all with yoke regulators. Most have been on HP steel tanks, and have never had a problem. I am not saying that yoke is better, because I have never used din. I have buddies that use din and they don't seem to have any problems either, other than when getting air fills. They must have an adapter or use the shops. I have even seen some shops even charge more for air fills because they have to use an adapter.

I have had once pressured yoke reg took off from bottle after it was bumped. Luckily I wasn't wearing set or I would be here. Reg took of really fast.

DIN (with an adaptor) will fit any tank you can dive with.
Yoke = planned obsolescence. Either you will never progress and sell the gear off on Craig's list or you will progress and move to DIN. The past is mostly in yoke, the future is moving to DIN.

DIN (with an adaptor) will fit any tank you can dive with.
Yep. That was a big part of the reason I switched to DIN many years ago. I had heard about DIN, but never used one. I needed a new reg, and was looking at a yoke, or a DIN w/ adapter. The one I would only be able to use on yoke tanks, the other could work on anything. So that’s what I got. At the time, I didn’t own any DIN tanks. Since then, I bought a couple tanks with convertible valve, and switched the yoke valves over to DIN. Never hit my head or neck on the reg. I just didn’t want to use the adapter anymore.

The adapter has only been used when my daughters were getting certified. They were young and small, so used the shops AL 63, which was yoke only.

What I don’t get is why they still sell yoke valves. Convertible valve will work on anything, so they can sell to yoke divers. They’d be especially useful for shop rentals. I’m definitely seeing more and more convertibles, but yokes are still around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom