Ding in new tank neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I'm seeking second opinions on a XS Metal Impact tank I just bought. The neck has a couple of dings in it. DGX says: "Hello! Looking at the photo it appears that these are superficial in nature and should not have any impact on the tanks ability to hold gas or pressure. We see this from time to time as a product of the pouring and finishing stage."

20190214_153850.jpg

DGE is correct the sealing surface is intact... But in decades of diving I've never seen such a "finishing" ding, seems like something that happened post quality assurance at the factory - ie during shipment. I have a hard time believing any QA inspector would allow that to be shipped for the exact reason you are concerned - it looks bad and reflects poorly on them.

As rjack said.
I suspect that if you call XS (and they actually answer the phone and put more than clerks on the line) they will tell you it did not leave their factory that way. That it is safe to use, but...they might authorize DGX to return it to them, and replace it.

I think it got dropped. If you paid for a new cylinder, you should get a new cylinder. Those probably aren't deep enough to cause the neck o-ring to extrude, but who cares?

Now, if you paid for a scratch-n-dent special, then that's what you got.

I wouldn't accept it. Why contact XS? Assuming DGX sold it to you, don't accept that answer and get them to take it back.
Sure, it will prolly hold. New is new. That ding is on the wall of the o'ring seal...too close for me.

Hate al fizzers.

DGEx is correct however I would not want a tank with a ding either. You bought new, you should expect new.

likely this ends up a freight claim. wouldn't be surprised it got dropped at some point in shipment.

I believe that Tanks are shipped in a pallet all secured from the vendor. It will be difficult to drop just one during transit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom