Dining in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They said they were going to, that was sept of 07 so I doubt it ever happened.
What good is a buoy 15' below the surface? They told me the same thing. How would one go about hooking into a buoy 15' below the surface? Dive and hook?

There used to be a charter in Tavernier called Lady Cyana that would cut off any surface moorings on the Eagle wreck. Back then, the Eagle's moorings were 15' below the surface. They didn't want private boats to be able to (easily) find the wreck.

You can not catch the pebble from my hand."

The reason to place at least one (if not all) buoys below the surface is to prevent the and entire mooring field/ship to be taken up by fishermen. On many trips out to the wrecks, including the Daune (in Key Largo); you will find all the moorings taken up by fishermen. This is most common at night during the summer season (locals coming out to fish after work).

As there is typically only one mooring on the Thunderbolt it is kept underwater at 15' to allow the dive boats to hook-up. In this case, the DM or deckhand free dives with a anchor line (w/clip) and hooks into the mooring. Then a grannie line is run from the mooring hook-up (usually to the stern of the dive vessel). The Eagle usually has two surface moorings and one submerged mooring.

Hope that clears things up.

They said they were going to, that was sept of 07 so I doubt it ever happened.
What good is a buoy 15' below the surface? They told me the same thing. How would one go about hooking into a buoy 15' below the surface? Dive and hook?

I'll throw in a vote for Rainbow Reef as well. We have used them four or five times in the past two years, and always come away happy. They are fun, less expensive than most, have several nice boats and run a safe operation. We honestly haven't tried anyone else there because we haven't seen any need to.

Mountain Dog

There used to be a charter in Tavernier called Lady Cyana that would cut off any surface moorings on the Eagle wreck. Back then, the Eagle's moorings were 15' below the surface. They didn't want private boats to be able to (easily) find the wreck.

I used to DM for them a lot. I used to be the one to hook up to the mooring. I used to sit on the bow sprit in my snorkel gear holding the line. I would signal the captain to stop, and then drop off the bow. I would swim down, and hook up to the mooring ball. Once hooked up I would swim the current line to the back of the boat.

Give Dive in a try...next to Mariner's Club MM 97.5. They have great customer service and it worth the few extra bucks.

I'll throw in a vote for Rainbow Reef as well. We have used them four or five times in the past two years, and always come away happy. They are fun, less expensive than most, have several nice boats and run a safe operation. We honestly haven't tried anyone else there because we haven't seen any need to.

Mountain Dog

When I dove the T-bolt in 2007, the DM strapped a 40cf pony to himself, swam down to the buoy, tied in, and left the pony there as a safety and did a CESA back to the surface. I thought it was a pretty cool idea! Then after the second dive he just unhooked the line and brought the pony back with him.

Huh - makes complete sense now. It is frustrating to pull up and find fisherman hooked to mooring balls, they dont typically hang around long when my crew shows up though...

We had a hand held GPS back when we were trying the TB (friends boat). Thats probably why I kept missing it. My tech gear is in my boat...

Tugboat Annie's Garden of Eatin', just up the street from Kawama, especially eating in the garden. African snook and other culinary delights. And I can bring my lil' doggies.

I wonder-- there was a place in Dania I LOVED called Tug Boat Annie's. I have taken MANY a date there for after drinks and a bite. It closed years ago-- Is this the same people... did they move it to the Keys??? Anyone know?

PS-- WHile I am hijacking this into a Hollywood / Dania thread is the little bar still on the beach called "Le Tub" that was another date night bar I would go to... great setting there..

TO THE Keys-- Loved the Mile Marker 88!! -- Stone crab claws and Steak GREAT time

PS-- WHile I am hijacking this into a Hollywood / Dania thread is the little bar still on the beach called "Le Tub" that was another date night bar I would go to... great setting there..

Yes, Le Tub is still there and they still win the "best burger in Broward" award just about every year. And I especially like the fact they are open 'til 0330 :D

I am writing down all the names of these places for eats for the ITK 2009!! ---

DO they serve LIONFISH at any of these places??

ITK 2009 everyone should listen to the wait staff talk about the specials then ask if they have LionFish. Maybe start a trend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom