Dir 2004 Dvd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi:

Has anyone seen the DIR 2004 DVD from GUE? Quality and comments would be appreciated.
Its $58. I wouldn't mind sharing the DVD with someone.

Any place to rent one?

Thanks

It's very long, very dry, but has some good information in it. You would basically get the same information out of taking a GUE class though. You can also get an idea of why George Irvine was a controversial figure within GUE. He's very passionate about the DIR subject.

It's mostly gear configuration and some stories about the founding figures of DIR and the WKPP. It doesn't cover any techniques though. Whether it's worth $58 is debatable.

Ben_ca:
2 guys + Couch + Video Camera....

The message is interesting but the delivery could use some work

Sound quality needs work to. The microphone on the couch between them doesn't work to well. Especially when they are hitting it and moving it around.

The information is solid. However, you would have thought the guys could have sprung for a more professional approach. They do have award winning cinematographers in their fold! Anway, it is better than the original video which at times could be called strange and a little weird. But then again, divers are a tad weird.

X

Thanks for all the replies.

If you want a GUE DIR techniques video, go to 5thd-x.com and look at the DVD Essentials of Recreational Diving. It sells for around $25 and has tremendous demonstrations of buoyancy, trim, flutter, frog, helicopter and backward kicks.
Additionally, it demonstrates SMB deployment, OOG reg exchange and ascent and the basic 5 (which they call the basic 6 because they include a find your reg J sweep)
I can promise you that watching these demonstrations will show you the proper way and motivate you to imitate them. And you can get a visual to work with.

If this is a hijack, I apologize, I interpreted your inquiry about the DVD to mean is it worth the price and is it a demo video.

Good info, some of it outdated already.

My favorite part:

GI "Ah... hummm.....what else was I going to say about this stage rigging?"

(JJ & GI shuffling feet looking uncomfortable for a few moments)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom